hazy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, my question is my water has a hazy look , all tests are fine, glass is clear just can't get crystal clear, any ideas would help
thanks

Hi, I changed the carbon a month ago, I used 2 packs of 1/2 units of chem-pure elite, could it be I did not rinse the bags enough, 65 gallon tank with a fluval 404 canister

You should think about a sump. Luv em. Makes maintenance a breeze and serves several purposes depending what all you put in it.
I buy all my carbon and most supplies from Bulk Reef Supply. They have high quality grade carbon. Best I've ever used. They have a video on U Tube that explains the different grades. Stuff you never think about. Also, I only buy Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. It's clears almost immediately when mixing and very little to no residue. Corals love it. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals are horrible. A lot of residue, hazy water, and kept the PH low.
That may be your problem with the hazy water and not the carbon.

thanks, that is great information I never herd of that site I will go on today, I have a sump that I had on my 150 gallon (sold the tank a few years ago but kept the sump amiracle but it does not fit under my 65 gal stand so I used the fluval 404 that I had, any idea's for a smaller sump ( compact)
thanks
again

Lots of different setups for sumps of all sizes on UTube. Watch a few of them, then you can decide how you want to set it up. I watch a lot of New York Steele videos. He is long winded but eventually gets to the point. He explains things in great detail. The Why's of everything. Even explains how to set up equipment. Poor guy. Think he had his tank wiped out twice now. First was a fire and now I think he lost it to Hurricane Sandy.
Look at my pictures. I have a sump set up for my 75 gallon reef tank. Going to make a couple of adjustments to it sometime in the future though. Want to add some baffles.

With that size tank u should b using either 2 full units or 4 half units I use 1 1/2 units on my 55 and am considering adding another half unit and no on the rinsing the directions do say lightly rince it don't have to run clear but about the hazyness I don't know

how long to you rinse the bag?

Depends on the quality of the carbon. If you buy basic carbon from petsmart or petco, you should rinse about a minute or so. You just want it activated and clear as you want. You dont want heavy black color in your tank. Make sure it's RO/DI water or distilled water.

great pictures, I see you have 2 different types of clowns, any issues with them?
thanks

Just the normal squabbles. Added the bigger one last. The maroon was the bully of the tank. Then when i added the cinnamon clown the power shifted to him. After that the maroon wasn't so brave. Lol.
Here's some updated picture of the 75 gal tank that my sump takes care of.

image-4269739983.jpg

image-3580956651.jpg

image-23580575.jpg

image-1466174073.jpg

image-2878686743.jpg

Attachments

• image-3957287307.jpg
    image-3957287307.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 67
great pictures nice tank, I use chemi-pure elite carbon 2 1/2units another question I need to change my lighting what type do you have
thanks
again

great pictures nice tank, I use chemi-pure elite carbon 2 1/2units another question I need to change my lighting what type do you have
thanks
again

It's an 8 bulb T5 light w/8 moonlights. Got it off Craigslist. I did have a 4 bulb. Corals really perked up when I upgraded. I love the T5's. you can the coloring for the tank every time you replace them. I have daylight, actinic+, and aqua blue.

Back
Top Bottom