:( He did it....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My new freaking goby jumped to his death :( I was looking everywhere for him and couldnt find him. Looked down and he was on the ground. This sucks :cry:

Dont even ask, I didnt think that type of goby jumped like that. Heck Ever since he has been in the tank he has been chilling at the bottom. I have never even seen him near the middle of the tank. Hard lesson learned.

Bummer!
Have hope! By sharing you may have stopped a someone else from making that same assumtion about gobies.

Sorry to hear about your loss. If I remember, I've had 2 gobies leap to their deaths. They do spend most of the time on the bottom, but they are very skittish and when spooked they'll jump right out of the tank. The first goby managed to get through an opening in my canopy, the second must've jumped out while I had the eggcrate off to do something. They're fascinating little fish but their suicidal tendencies have put me off of them for awhile.

Well no im afraid b/c the pistol is still in the tank somewhere. Im going to try to get another goby soon when funds are good but I wonder if I still have a chance of them pairing?

Anyone want to sell me a peice of egg crate? I dont want to spend more on egg crate than I did for my tank (10g) lol. I only need a little bit :-d

Eggcrate isn't terribly exspensive, I have a piece I could sell you but I'm afraid shipping from PA would cost as much as a whole piece.

I have had few things go "carpet surfing" including even a cleaner shrimp. How a cleaner shrimp jumps, I still haven't figured that out. Good idea to do the eggcrate.
Im going to try to get another goby soon when funds are good but I wonder if I still have a chance of them pairing?
The same chance as w/ the first goby. It may take some time, but IME when they eventually meet up they will pair. Good luck w/ it.

thanks for all the nice comment guy and girls. I still feel really bad cause its my fault that he died. My stupidity.

Not stupidity, just ignorance. Much different! :) The first is incurable, the latter is... it just takes time and can be painfull, like in this case. But by sharing, you taught me that gobies can and will jump! When I first started asking questions most of the respnses were that SW just don't jump as much as FW and not to worry about it. (And that was from posts on this site!) With your story, and the additions of others, I know the prior information is not as reliable as I thought.
Using this information, I have replaced the lid on my 6 gal and just drilled small holes for ventilation of heat (which is why I removed it thinking I did not have to worry about jumpers). I haven't even purchased a shrimp or gobie, but was planning to go out last weekend and purchase. With your story, I waited, solved the heat/lid issue and can now go puchase with more confidence that my $ won't end up on the floor!
So you have helped me with my ignorance! Thank you. This is the reason we share, to help others with our prior mistakes. Your post is in the truest sense, the spirit of the site. :wink:

P.S. Bet you won't make that mistake again!

Back
Top Bottom