He did it again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I cleaned my tank: scraped the walls, removed detritus, cleaned filter, cleaned hood, removed salt creep & did water change. All in all took about an hour. I reassemble the tank, turned the lights back on & low & behold my peppermint shrimp was in the process of molting. It just figured- he had to wait until I was done, I left the molt in the tank, I'll get it today. :x

I watched him for a while, it was cool how his exoskeleton peeled away, he did a little wriggling and swimming around to free himself. Wish I had that digicam!

if he molts with out losing any legs then your iodine is fine if its to low they have a hard time getting out of the old shell or cant at all !! but leaving the molted skin in the tank isnt a bad thing imo i leave mine in for the shrimps the stone crab i pull out due to it so big ya know but will disolve in a day or two

Thanks. I was reading some older posts & decided I won't add trace elements, I dont have corals at this time & my tank is so small I would not want to overdose. When I first got th shrimp from LiveAquaria - he was missing most of his legs, but they have all grown back. My water quality is very good, so I just thinks he molts often because he's a pig & is growing fast.

IMO I woudln't add anything to your tank you cannot test for. Regular water changes will replenish most trace elements providing you are using a quality salt and your tank is not overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom