Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Head pressure calculator

I posted about an overflow and pump match setup. Helping a friend out. I am about to pull out my hair trying to find a head pressure calculator. Some folks told me I didn't need a tee with a valve to regulate flow, so I want to find a calculator and cannot find one anywhere. Anybody know of one?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Web based
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
Download
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/5/aafeature2

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tried the reef central but it didn't have anything in the pump section or anything pertaining to gph. I didn't see anything, if I'm doing it wrong please correct me. Tried the downloadable one, and according to it, with 48'' of vertical rise, 2 90deg elbows for the exit to the tank, 2 45 deg for the pipe coming from under the stand, and 3/4'' pipe and fittings, he would need a 2400 gph pump to achieve only 1009 gph. there is no way that is right. When I plug in horizontal pipe length, no matter the number, the gph value does not change.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I called danner and gave them the info and they said around a 1400gph pump should be very close to even in and out water movement. He ordered a 1400gph pump and we will go with that. With the hob overflow, if the water falls below the inlet of the overflow in the tank, will it just suck out what's in the inlet or will it stop and when the water rises back up, start pulling again?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

It will just stop, and depending on the system, will either need to be manually restarted or might have a pump that does it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is a regular overflow with a nipple on top to start the siphon. I had a 300f octopus skimmer that when the pumps were turned off for a water change, the water just set in the overflow until i turned the pumps on and then it started on it's own. I guess it has to have so much water above the outlet of the inlet to hold a siphon

Tags
calculator

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com