Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heading to our LFS tonight :)- first upgrade fish purchase any suggestions???

45 gallons and the only fish in there right now is a pair of O. clowns. We're open to any fish and or invert. suggestions from you. Water is ready, 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate since Tuesday. )

Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You cannot go wrong with clowns. Reef safe and comical. Only good damsel out there of you ask me. Be careful not to over do the fish. Easy to do in a 45g. Either way, have fun and send pics, good luck!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

We decided on 1 blue/green cromis and 1 purple dottyback for our first purchases. Hopefully we'll be able to upload some photos tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

For an invert... I'd have to recommend a coral banded shrimp. They're a lot of fun to watch and feed, and they're really cool looking IMO. And plus, they're on the cheaper side too.

When I had my first SW tank, a 55g tall, I had one in there, and he was always a lot of fun at feeding time, and would come out every so often and mess around with the fish swimming by, but NEVER did any harm. Seemed like he just enjoyed teasing them. And they also do a real good job cleaning up leftover food and stuff
Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a bad idea to only get one of a schooling fish, Green chromis are usually a hit and miss on getting them. They do best in schools of 3 or more. If you only have one they usually die.

Also coral banned shrimp are the worst shrimp IMO. I had one in my 125 reef he was eating polyps, small fish, pretty much anything. You can't keep any other shrimp with them, & they serve no real purpose in your tank. I had to buy a puffer to stick in my reef just to kill the shrimp so I can get him out! Get some cleaner shrimp, they serve a purpose in your tank. They can clean your fish of parasites such as ick. You can also get other shrimp with them and they don't bother anything.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams
It's a bad idea to only get one of a schooling fish, Green chromis are usually a hit and miss on getting them. They do best in schools of 3 or more. If you only have one they usually die.

Also coral banned shrimp are the worst shrimp IMO. I had one in my 125 reef he was eating polyps, small fish, pretty much anything. You can't keep any other shrimp with them, & they serve no real purpose in your tank. I had to buy a puffer to stick in my reef just to kill the shrimp so I can get him out! Get some cleaner shrimp, they serve a purpose in your tank. They can clean your fish of parasites such as ick. You can also get other shrimp with them and they don't bother anything.
I disagree with the overstated opinion. I find them to be reef safe ,an imprortant part of my cleanup crew as well as safe with other shrimp providing each have there own space. I have 2 peps 1 cleaner scarlet one bloodred shrimp and a coral banded in a 55 collum tank full of corals and other inverts never have had an issue.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also cleaner shrimp don't eat ick. Only the cysts the parasite makes when bursting itself. It would have to rip the dish open to get to the parasite.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like purple firefish, they are a little on the aggressive side, but nothing like damsels. They are around $30 and beautiful.
Also I love my coral banded shrimp, he is a character, never had any problems out of him eating anything he wasn't supposed to, but i have heard from several different sources that you can't add any other shrimp once you get him, but he is fine with crabs and other things, I have two Pom Pom crabs and he never messes with them, and he could destroy them if he wanted to.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45 gallon full shot.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	114721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clowns 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	114722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	purple dottyback.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	114723  
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is that a strawberry basslet? If so they are pretty aggressive watch out when you add your next fish.

Tags
fish, lfs, suggestions, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com