HEAT PROBLEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys,
im in a bit of a panic as the aquarium temp has reached 87 degrees fahrenheit. My torch coral has failed to open, but all the others are okay. TEll me to do something and bring the temp down five degrees. Im in northern california, bay area to be exact, and we are experiencing a heat wave right now.
Thanks

I used to blow a fan across the top or on top of the sump. You want to be careful not to lower it all in one shot. Alot of people put fans in their canopies to draw the heat out. Good Luck Pufferman

Your tank is in trouble at 87 degrees. Cut off the lights. Move your light cycle to nights when its cooler and/or drastically reduce the amount of time. If it still manages to be too hot you can take more drastic measures and fill half dozen or so sandwich bags with ice. Stick 3 i nthe freezer and float 2 or 3 in the tank during peak heat times. As the ice melts cycle out the fresh bags and place the used ones back in to re freeze. (Check for leaks of course!) If you can afford it, lower your ambient room temp by way of you air conditioning. Keeping the AC at 76 should produce a tank temp of around 78 - 80 with no lights.
This is all based on my 75G tank so if its larger you may need more bags, otherwise you may need less.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom