Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Heat Problems

I have a 16 gallon nano reef thats been set up for almost a year now. It was fine last summer and i had no problems with it heating up at all. Normally the lights only change the temp in the tank +/- 1 degree during the day, but we're getting a lot of extra heat this summer and i need advice on how to make sure my tank stays cool. I normally Keep it at 78 or 79 degrees, but i've already gottena scare when it heated up to 84 one day. We dont have air conditioning and i dont think i have enough money to purchase a chiller, please help.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buy a fan to blow across the water. Run lights at night when temperature is cooler.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #3

As suggested, go with fan blowing across the surface. I had a similar problem with a 140 gal tank running over 84 degrees. Installed 4 5-inch fans that I got on ebay and now the temp sits at 75-76.5, even with the lights on.

Downside is that it will increase your evaporation, but it's well worth it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #4

As suggested, go with fan blowing across the surface. I had a similar problem with a 140 gal tank running over 84 degrees. Installed 4 5-inch fans that I got on ebay and now the temp sits at 75-76.5, even with the lights on.

Downside is that it will increase your evaporation, but it's well worth it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Buy a fan to blow across the water.
That is a good way of getting rid of heat, but you will also greatly increase the amount of evaporation. With only 16 gals. of water to start with(or less depending on the amount of LR and sand) that may be a problem. If you do use a fan, be sure to monitor the evaporation rate and salinity changes closely. You may have to do multiple top-offs daily. Another good idea is to bump your temperature up a bit to limit the amount of fluctuation during the day/night. FWIW 84 is not too bad, many tanks w/ MH lighting run "warm"- although 80-82 is ideal for a reef IMO. It's when you hit 90 things can go down hill very fast.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank was running hot for the last two weeks. It didn't seem right to me (and I do have AC). After unplugging my heaters my temp returned to normal. I think one of them is haywire. I haven't figured out which one yet, but my tank hit 86. It is now back down to a firm 81.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
After unplugging my heaters my temp returned to normal. I think one of them is haywire. .
I had the same issue and neither heater was 'broken" so to speak. Some models just don't handle warm conditions well and will kick on periodically for a brief amount of time bumping temps up. Mine are on timers now b/c of this, they go off when lights come on.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 AM   #8

thanx, i think i will get a fan for the room at least. That should definitely help with the situation.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Along with fans, if you ever get to the point of a total emergency, you can always float ice cubes in a bag to lower the temp. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

my house stays at a constant 74 degrees. my tank with the lights on stays about 80-81 with the lights off its 80-81 ^_^

Tags
eat, heat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com