Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Heater in HOB refugium

I have a HOB refugium on my tank. I recently moved one of my two heaters (the more reliable one) from my main into the refugium. I did this mostly to get it out of the way in the main. It is a titanium heater, the ones with the head sensor that is seperate from the heating element.

What I did initially is keep the sensor in the main tank but the heater itself in the refugium. What I am not concerned about is that the refugium may be heating up too much due to the slower water flow and the sensor in the main calling for more heat. Is this logic correct?

If so, I have 2 solutions.
1) Put the sensor in the refugium with the heater.
2) Put the heater back in the main.

What do you suggest? I would rather keep the heater out of the main since it is already cluttered with 4 MJ 1200s/900s.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
You might want to put a thermometer in the HOB along with one or two in the main and get a definite answer. I ran my heater in a DIY HOB for awhile ( one piece unit though, not a seperate sensor) and did not see any ill effects, but making sure that theres alot of flow in and out with this situation is ideal. My HOB however, did sometimes run one or two degrees warmer. Also, if you have bright lighting on the HOB like I did this small amount of water tends to warm up easier which will also make it a little warmer in there. Good flow will solve that too though.
Long Live DIY
55 gal reef
45 gal turtle/fish tank
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater, hob, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com