Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Heater in plastic sump

I just did my freshwater fill to check for leaks in my 150 Gal. I am using a 40 gal. Rubbermaid tote for a sump for budget reasons. So far everything has gone well. No leaks!!!!! I was wondering if I can put my heaters in the sump or is that a bad idea due to the plastic? Right now I have them in the tank, but I would rather have them in the sump.

150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
At the store I work at, we've put the heaters in a regular plastic bucket submerged in the sump without any damage. They've been like that for over 10 years. It should be fine.

We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just for safty I would use the little 'plastic' mounting brackets for the heaters and suction cup them to the bottom or side of your sump. As long as you have water around the heaters they wont get so hot as to melt the plastic. If the heater is pressed up aganst the soft plastic of the side and water flow is slow around the heater I suppose it could melt a hole in the sump but that would be a long shot with alot of contengencies.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater, plastic, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com