heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
we got our tank set up yesterday with water and live sand ( 29 gallon tank 40 lbs live sand ) i am running my heaters ( two 75 watt ebo jager) one in each corner. they are set at 75 degrees. my thermometers are reading 80. i have two of the same new thermometer. one in the corner away from the heaters and one in the middle of the front. is it common for your heaters to be off like that? do you need to learn what to set your heaters at to get an actuall temp? as long as i am on the subject, what temp does everyone keep thier tank at? we are not planning any corals or anenomes if that helps.

thanks
steve

Some of my heaters have run spot-on, and others are as much as 5 degrees off. I finally stopped worrying about it as long as they keep the temperature steady--I just adjust until I get what I want and leave it there.

I run my tanks at 78, but that's because I'd need a chiller to keep them any cooler in the summer.

Remember that it's possible your thermometers aren't as accurate as your heaters too.

More likely that the thermometers are correct IMO. I keep mine at about 80 degress... usually want somewhere between 77-82... 80 is fine as long as it is steady.

I run from 78 in the night to 80 in the day for my reef. FO is always around 78. Ya check thermos. Like matt said 77-82 is fine for a FO.

thanks. we will have 40lbs of LR on thursday from liverock.com. i think from what i have learned keeping the temp constant is important as well. i have it running at 78 right now. i will have to see what happens when i turn the lights on for a full 10-12 hours.

steve

Atari said:
Remember that it's possible your thermometers aren't as accurate as your heaters too.

Or the other way around. I found that my heaters are off a few degrees. They are calibrated at 70 degrees in the factory, but they seem to be just a degree or 2 off from my instruments. I check mine with an electronic tempature sensor I use at work. It is real close to being acurate as possible so I trust it more than anything else I got.

Mike

i have a current USA dual satellite PC. 2 x 65 watts. one bulb is a a dual daylight 10,000k / 6500k the other is a dual actinic. i forgot the two wavelengths the dual actinic uses.

i found that both the thermometers are accurate with each other. and i hung one by my house thermostat. it was right on with that. so i think my heaters are a bit off.

thanks again for the info everyone.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom