Heater suction cups...well they suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
My aquarium/sump heaters aren't too bad with their suction cups but the one I used in the pail or tub for PWC's just don't cut it. Is there a way, like magnetic veggie clips to use magnets with heaters? Would it mess with the "workings" of the heater? Is something available or should I look into a DIY?

Thanks...Steve

I never worried about where the heater was affixed in the Pail or tub for water changes. Just drop it in there. No worries.

I use a heater in my rubbermaid container to bring the water up to the same temp as the DT but the suction cups, I guess because of the curved surface, always fail and the heater just bumps against the power head I use to stir.

Steve

im still lost on what a heater has to do with a PWC....

NVM we posted at the same time...

am i crazy for just using the hot water from my house faucet?

in that case.. what about gluing a magnet to the back of the heater and use another mag on the outside of the bucket... should work. i cant see it interfering with the workings of the heater...

Andrew, when doing a PWC I use a rubbermaid container filled with RO/DI water. I use a powerhead to keep salt mixture stired and mixed and a heater to bring it up to the same temperature as the DT water.

Steve

ahhh stupid me... SW!!!! AHHHH HA!!! makes sense now.... guess i should really check the forum title when looking at the main page of this site huh?

sorry guys... but anyway in that case. i believe a magnet would be your best bet!.. well 2 magnets.. one on the heater and one on the outside of the bucket!

good luck.

What's wrong with just dropping the heater in the bucket? Melting maybe? I never had a problem, but I was using a 44g rubbermaid trashcan.

Yeah I'm using a rubbermaid trash can as well Ray. I was worried about it touching the sides and banging into the powerhead as the water swirls. I guess they are a lot more durable than I give them credit for.

Steve

I'm thinking 78- 80 degrees isn't enuf to melt a plastic that thick. I forgot what type my heater was, but it was glass with the plastic netting type material around it. My powerhead was prolly 2-300GPH with a 3/4", 6ft hose attached, just thrown in there pointed at the bottom to ensure the salt got mixed well. Would sit like that for days and weeks.

P.S. the 6ft hose was so I could just reach in there, grab the hose and pump water into my tank.

Back
Top Bottom