Heaters - how many watts per gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I've got a 90 gallon tank, and I've read I should get a heater that supports 3-5 watts/gallon. Is this overkill? My LFS sold me a 200W heater (Visi Therm Stealth), but I'm thinking I may need a 300W. Any opinions?

I had a 200W in my 55-gallon for a while. The problem was, the temp varied alot, it got a lot warmer during the day then at night. This one did not have a thermostat built in it.

So, I purchased another 200W with a thermostat. I had the first heater at 3/4 power which kept the water at 70-degrees at night, which we keep it pretty cool in the house. I added the other 200W with the thermostat set at 80-degrees.

For the past 6 days, my tank temps have not fluctuated in the least, a steady 81-degrees day and night.

The nice thing is, if one happens to go out, the temp won't drop below 70. Now I just cross my fingers that the thermostat doesn't get stuck open.

I have two 250watt Heaters in my 75. Im sure it is overkill, but my temp never goes below 77.

I would say keep the visi therm (the stealths are my favorite :D ) and just pick up one more heater. That way if one goes out, you have backup.

I reccomend Ebo Jager's. Thats what Ive used forever. Big als online has them all the way up to 300 watts for about 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom