Heating IN the sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDHatter22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

150 reef going up. As far as heating goes, can I do any of it from the sump? I was going to do 500w in the tank and then another 500w in the sump. Is this feesable? And if so, what part of the sump would be best? Probably towards the return right?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Oh ya! You can always put your heater in the sump! It really works best. It will actually keep your tank at a more regulated temperature. There is an article somewhere on this site about it.

Mdhatter, contact Darin at captive reefs. I wouldn't use 2 500 watt heaters. I have 2 150 Watts in my sump of my 225 and they work great. I got the titanium Won Bros from Darin and they are very nice. External temp control is great.

I was going to say almost the same thing....... I like 2- 250's..... Its nice to have a back up running... I run one in the sump the other in the fuge..... You can run 2 in the sump... Good luck....
What are your plans for the tank......
sump, skimmer, water, Lr how much..... setting them up is fun...

Wow... all this is great info.

I got a sweet deal on a 150H with stand, I didn't want to start that big, but I have years of freshwater experience. Lots of big tanks and extensive collections, so it's just time to take the plunge.

So I'm going reef. I live on the beach and my living room is screaming for nice big reef tank.

I question the stand it came with though... am I right to have this instinct? We're talking close to 2,000lbs. when it's all said an done. And it's a simple wood cabinet... I'm going to reinforce just to be on the safe-side.

So anyway, going reef. Bought the tank and stand last week.
Got an Oceanic Model 3 sump. Real nice.
Just picked up 2 Mag 950s. New in box. $105 for both on E-bay. good deal.
I guess since I'm here, I should ask what size (and brand) skimmer to get. My buddy has had 2 125s going without issue for 12 years now and he runs a Red Sea on his. Thoughts?

And should I be running the same size pump on the skimmer as I am on the return? Geez guys.. everytime I ask a question 10 more pop into my head... maybe I should have gotten into Dungeons and Drangons LOL (kidding!!)

Thanks again.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom