heeelllp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nigael lewis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am brand new to aquaria and have just set-up my marine tank about 24 hours ago, got my salt level correct and added some Nutrafin cycle, but the water is a little murky, is this normal? and when can i expect it to be a lot better and do my water tests.

If you have sand, that is more than likely where the murkiness is coming from. Bacteria in a bottle is a waist of money IMO. Get a raw shrimp and throw it in there to cycle the tank. It will clear up in a day or two. If you got test strips, don't use them and get an API master test kit.

Thanks Thom,
appreciate your info. Got an API , but should i start testing the water now or wait a little while until the water is clear. I apologise for lack of intelligence within this sector.

Do you have any source of ammonia in there right now like a fish or raw shrimp? If not, testing may be kind of pointless IMO. Are you going to go reef, fish only with live rock, or just fish? If you are going to do reef or fowlr and don't have live rock in there, get some because adding it later will just start a mini-cycle.

I was going to do FO and progress to FOWLR later , but what do you think, is it better to put some LR in there now.

Try not to get fish to cycle. Go with fishless cycling. Toss in a raw shrimp or some pure ammonia with no additives. Adding a fish will only stress the fish and possibly kill it due to levels of ammonia and nirite toxic to the fish.

If you were going to go fowlr later, you might as well add it now as adding it later will only cause a mini cycle. Adding it now will also speed up the cycle.

Thanks for the info Thom. I will get some tomorrow and start this
baby moving.
Hey i will catch up with you later , as i am in the UK and its time to head for the sack, as work is awaiting me in the morning.

Thanks for the info Thom. I will get some tomorrow and start this
baby moving.
Hey i will catch up with you later , as i am in the UK and its time to head for the sack, as work is awaiting me in the morning.
First, Welcome to the site. Second... I thought you Brits never slept! ;)
See you in the morning and good luck on your Sw tank..

Back
Top Bottom