Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Helios Lights

has any one heard about the Helios T-5 lights. my local store had them very cheap, but i heard from someone else that they are dangerous (i.e. could burn your house down.) Has any one used them, my local store guy said they were coming out with a new fixture with rubber end caps. I don't know if this is because of the problems that they have had in the past. I don't know if this will fix the problems.

Thanks for any help
Xray

Old 04-11-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

we use them on our 25 gal tall. we have a ho day and three actinics. we have mostly mushrooms and leathers in the main tank, which are growing very nicely, they seem to like it. we also have two no day bulbs over the 10 gal sump which houses polyp, xenia, and leather frags we intend to sell to our lfs. kind of a little grow out system. everything in there is growing very nicely as well.

the bulbs do get a little hot, but as long as you have an open back, they seem to fine. you could even throw a fan in there as well. i cant see them burning your house down.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have one helios actinic, a friend of mine bought for me one day. i think it works great, it brightened up my tank a little bit (not much when compared to my MH). but for the price i think they are a great way to add on light! i couldn't imagine it burning the place down, but then again i wouldn't want to imagine that anyway. anything can be a fire hazard if your not careful, i'm not gonna waste my day worrying about it.
mermaid
Old 04-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the reply's. It's not the heat that I was worried about. There was supposed to be a shock hazard with these lights. I don't know maybe it's all a load of crap.

Thanks again for the help.
Xray[/img]

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com