Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrissab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased some oysters for my seahorse tank today. As I was looking at them through the glass, I noticed lots of hydroids and flat worms! Hydroids are bad for the seahorses because they eat the brine shrimp and sting the seahorses. How do I get rid of them? Please help.

Well, simplest solution would be to take out the oysters. Most bivalves aren't recommended for seahorse displays because there are possibilities (have seen it happen with Tridacna) of having the shell shut on a seahorses body part. I have killed hydroids via kalkwasser (Search aiptasia ridding) solution. If there are not alot of flatworms you can suck them out with a small hose or purchase an animal that consumes them. I am hesistant in using a flatworm chemical due to seahorse sensitivities.

I hate Flatworm Exit....don't use chemicals if you can help it....I just suck them out now. easier on all inhabitants

I have used flatworm exit with success though I agree with Innovator that it's probably not a good idea for a Seahorse tank.

Thanks so much! I will remove them and put them in my husbands reef tank.

If you are talking about taking the oysters out and put them in your husbands reef tank I would not do that either esp. if that is where the flatworms came from. I guess that is what you meant.

Back
Top Bottom