Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lespaulguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all,

I have a 45 gal fish with live rock running for 6 months. Cycled it, tested water was all good, I put 2 clown and two damsels in after 2 months all was great. Today after being gone 2 days, I come back and turn the lights on and all fish are hidden and wont come out. I feed, and that didnt even turn them on THAT much. The damesels wont even come out. I had to move the live rock to find them hiding. But I notice one is really pale looking, and the other is turned to a dark violet collor with weird spots? The clowns are out, but I dont know if Im going crazy, but they seem off too?
I have two filter and protein skimmer for equipment, salt and temps are fine.

I would really appreciate guidance from the experienced folk on this site.

Phil

What are your other water parameters?

We're the lights out for 2 days? Fish will go paler with lights out for extended periods. Blue damsels will also go purpler when stressed.
When you returned, lit the tank and later started rummaging the rocks around, that will stress them as well.

Google Ick and see if those spots match you fish's.

^ agree

Post your test results

Also may want to start mixing spare water if you think there could be a water quality issue.

The light shocked them. I had a coral due when I switched lights to stronger. Especially if you left them off for two days. I would never move rocks around to find a fish, it just stresses them, and you may never find it.

yup i was right about this site. You guys (and gals) are good, REAL good. I left the light on overnight, I suspected lack of light. By this afternoon, 10 hours later, they were all MUCH better. I cant beleive the impact of the lights. I think Im fine, I was panicking for nothing!?!?!
Im starting to understand that fish need light. At the down side of algea, but thats an estetic downside, not a environment one. Am I understanding that right?

Anyway, my little crew looks fine today, Im happy.

Thanks! Tomorrow I want to add yellow tang, any advice?

P

YOU GUYS ROCK

All tangs need a 75 gallon tank atleast. Sorry ;(. You could get a dwarf angel though (swim a lot). If you upgrade to a 75 gallon you could only get tomini tangs and kole tangs. The algae is caused by excess nutrients (phosphates and nitrates) which it consumes. Algae is not only ugly, lol, but also is a sign of some issues. Hope this clears some things up :).

Lespaulguy said:
yup i was right about this site. You guys (and gals) are good, REAL good. I left the light on overnight, I suspected lack of light. By this afternoon, 10 hours later, they were all MUCH better. I cant beleive the impact of the lights. I think Im fine, I was panicking for nothing!?!?!
Im starting to understand that fish need light. At the down side of algea, but thats an estetic downside, not a environment one. Am I understanding that right?

Anyway, my little crew looks fine today, Im happy.

Thanks! Tomorrow I want to add yellow tang, any advice?

P

YOU GUYS ROCK

I would also advise against the tang. Many reasons but one being it will stess as it gets bigger. Tangs are recommended 6 foot tanks which usually means 125 gallon or larger. Then need lots of swimming room and plenty of rock to graze on.

A dwarf angel is probably the largest fish i would recommend also.

Back
Top Bottom