Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquacal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I have a situation. I am only thirteen and I have a 10 gallon cichlid tank (I guess you could call it that I only have one for stocking reasons) and I have a 10 gallon nano reef with only a little bit of coral. My grandma saw my saltwater tank and she said she wants one. Awhile back she wanted a 10 gallon freshwater tank so I said I would help her take care of it. Well now she wants a 29 gallon reef tank, and my grandpa thinks that's too small ( he wants a 55 gallon) he only thinks a 55 gallon full blown reef with coral, LR, and fish will cost him only 500 DOLLARS!!! I nicely told him he's insane. Well my question is what do I tell them and should I help take care of their tank( I don't have much experience only been doing saltwater for about 6 months. So thanks:)

Heck ya you should help them. Nothing like some quality time with the grandparents. Just tell them to be realistic with the cost. I would sit down with them and look at products and figure out exactly what they want and show them the prices. If they are comfortable with it, then they can back out before they do it.

this may help stock it with coral fairly cheap but it still adds up fast

Frag Packs

this isn't a hobby for shallow pockets

but it can be done

Yeah, $500 is a bit low. I'm in over a grand in my 29 gallon and I wouldn't consider it fully stocked. I agree with the post above, make sure they are ok spending and if so go for it.

You can show them cost of lighting. That will soak up most of the $500 budget by itself.

Don't forget to look at Craigslist for people getting out of the hobby. You can pick up a steal of a deal for way less than new.

Haha let's see here for my 75 gallon:
tank and stand $250
Lights $225
Sump $100
Rock $175
Sand and refugium mud $50
Salt $50
Gfo and carbon reactor $65
Skimmer $180
Heater $30
Plumbing $25
Return pump $90
Power heads $75
Total: $1315 start up cost ROUGHLY for a 75 gallon tank

It's awesome to see that you want to help. It's going to be very expensive especially since they are potentially starting from scratch. Try going to your lfs and seeing if they will do some sort if bundle. I started my 60 gallon tank with t5s and some decent stuff for 400. I'm sure if you tell them you want to do everything they will work with you. Also see if they had anything come in on trade they are willing to sell cheaper than the new stuff. Power heads and pumps used come much cheaper. All you have to do is soak it in a vinegar and water 1:1 ratio and it will clean it.

The problem is that she wants me to clean and maintenance to it. I wish they would get a 20 gallon freshwater that way she could take care of it. :/

I also found that eBay has some cheaper powerheads and protein skimmers and what not. My local lfs had cheaper water and sand then PETsMART or some online stores. Live Rock will probably be the biggest cost but u could always start off small and add to that. But I heard more live rock will cycle the tank faster. Just search search search for cheaper prices. But $500 was less than it would've costed when I was researching a 20 gallon nano, my 20 gallon nano even though I'd have a tank and filter, would've been $650 or so. So... Yeah they will have to be willing to go higher. Good luck! It's always great to spend time with the grandparents!

The problem is that she wants me to clean and maintenance to it. I wish they would get a 20 gallon freshwater that way she could take care of it. :/

So tell them there are running cost too. Just be clear and tell them it's going to be an additional 50-100 a month to maintain the tank with food and water changes and see if they still wanna do it. Most people don't know the cost involved in the hobby. Just be clear with them and tell em.

Back
Top Bottom