Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HELP

Does anyone know what to do about low PH 7.8 and high Nitrates (20)? any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Partial water change is your quick fix.
What size tank? How much live rock? How much live sand? Do you have any macro algae? How old is the tank? Do you have an alk/carbonate hardness test kit? Check your alk, if your levels are too low, it will drag your ph down. Really, 7.8 isn't drastically low, it's still within the acceptable parameters, although any lower than that and your inverts will suffer. Ph swings are more worrisome than maintaing a perfect 8.2. Do you have a refugium? Is it lighted? Does your aquarium have a glass cover over it, or is it open to the air?

Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Run some carbon filtration. Better yet add some phosphate remover to the filter media and run a filte o nthe tank. Also do water changes.

In my experience when I mix my salt and my RO water I get a PH that is 8.2 or 8.3 and everyhting works out great. So after you mix your freshwater with yoru salt try to get a PH readign and see if it is at the proper level or if it is low.

If it is low you need to get some PH buffer to get it up to the proper level.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am relatively new to the marine world and am constantly learning, I have a 75 gallon tank (1 year), glass cover (hood), lighted with 48" marine-glo (40W) and 48" power-glo (40W), about 50 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand (I guess?), no alk test kit but will make a trip to pet store tonight. If I understand completely, I believe I have macro algae, red/maroon algae sometimes on my sand and green algae on my live rock, and back glass of tank!?!? Will simple water changes help my nitrate levels?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek410
I am relatively new to the marine world and am constantly learning, I have a 75 gallon tank (1 year), glass cover (hood), lighted with 48" marine-glo (40W) and 48" power-glo (40W), about 50 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand (I guess?), no alk test kit but will make a trip to pet store tonight. If I understand completely, I believe I have macro algae, red/maroon algae sometimes on my sand and green algae on my live rock, and back glass of tank!?!? Will simple water changes help my nitrate levels?
Water changes are the best thing you can do for your tank. The algaes you speak of sound like cyano and hair algae. The water changes will also help eliminate those nuisance algaes as well. The glass cover could be part of your ph issues. Removing will help with gas exchange. Old bulbs can also help contribute to algae issues. Your nitrates aren't that high and the water changes will help with that as well.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I also want to add, if this is a fish only tank, 7.8 isn't ideal but it's not that bad either. Your ph readings can change also depending on the time of day you take the readings. Remember it's more important to have a stable ph than a proper one and adding chemicals to fix it and having it constantly fluxuate may be more detrimental to your tank than helpful. JMO
Old 03-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with removing the glass top as this will lower PH due to poor gas exchange. Also as stated 20 nitrates is not that high but PWC is what`s important now

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com