Help/Advice Dripping/Overflowing Red Sea Prism Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contactpsb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up today to find my a huge puddle on my hardwood floor :( My Prism's collection cup was full of water and dripping behind the stand. We just spent the last 2 hours siphoning out all the water in buckets, sliding the tank away from the wall and have a hair dryer blowing on the floor as I speak. I want to prevent this from ever happening again and was wondering if I have something adjusted wrong?

Well the collection cup on the prizm skimemr should not fill up that quickly. On the old prizm design there was an adjustment to control the amount of water flowing into the skimmer. Their directions said the ideal water level was just below the rubber gasket going up the neck to the collection cup.

I would give it a good cleaning. If the air flow is restricted, the water level will run higher than normal and can spill into the collection cup. They are also bad about leaking around the collection cup gasket if it isn't seated just right. Does yours have the adjustment for water flow?

Actually the prizm's are very prone to overflowing. Especially after feeding or adding additives to the tank. I would replace it with a Bak Pak or a remora or clean it every two weeks and slow down the air flow after feeding.

I have a newer prizm model that has been running for over a year trouble free. Mine has a single adjustment knob on top of the intake tube. I was told by a Red Sea rep to keep the foam level just below the where the round tube is not just below the gasket. If I set the level too high I will get a much wetter extraction. It sounds like the skimmer adjustment is way out of whack. I check my level about once a day to make sure its running in the right place but otherwise I only clean the skimmer every few months and empty the cup once a week.

Back
Top Bottom