Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HELP !!! Alagae problem...

Ok so I've had problems with this in the past when my nitrates got high but they are around 20ppm right now and I have had an explosion of reddish/brown algae in the tank since this morning..... Nothing is new except that I got a PC light fixture a week ago.... nothing seems to be dead or "missing"........ any ideas on how to keep this in check???

Old 11-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Two other quick notes..... There are alot of clear bubbles rising from the most of the algae....... and it seems to be heavier around the flow areas... ie filter, PH, Skimmer sponge intake........

Old 11-02-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

O and a few days ago I added Seachem's Reef Complete with calcium, strontium and somethin else............................ Did a water change this weekend too with tap water.......
Old 11-02-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

2Oppm is pretty high. Try getting that down. Do you have an RO unit? try waterchanges with RO water.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

this exact same thing is happening with me except the algae part. I believe Ive figured it out. the extra lights started an algea bloom. since algea is a plant it has to release oxygen as part of the photosynthesis. that is why the bubbles are their. Though im not an expert on this that is just my opinion. this problem you and i have with the bubbles should die off soon in a couple weeks. maybe if you keeping your lights on more than 9 hours id say limit light a little and slowly work your way up.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The combination of new more powerful lighting and excess nutrients are causing the algae bloom. While your tank is adjusting to the new lighting I suggest you look into a RO/DI or DI unit, upgrade your protein skimmer if its not up to par, start a refugium with DSB and macros. All of the above will maximize your long term success.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You say the tank is adjusting to the light.... does that mean this bloom will die off??????? Or will this continue???? Also my lights are on for about twelve hours a day..... should I just leave them on at night when I get home?????? How will this affect the growth of the coraline algae, my shrooms, etc.........
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

i didnt know you had a reef. and also you may want to get a timer if you dont already have one. i get off here since im not an expert on light. I for one dont know how much light certain corals need so youll probably need to get a fellow reef keeper to answer that
Old 11-02-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
You say the tank is adjusting to the light.... does that mean this bloom will die off??????? Or will this continue???? Also my lights are on for about twelve hours a day..... should I just leave them on at night when I get home?????? How will this affect the growth of the coraline algae, my shrooms, etc.........
Depends on your water quality. Changes in the lighting spectrum will favor certain types of algae's over others. This could be a short term bloom if your tank is still fairly new. If it has been up and running over 6 months this may be just the beginning. 12 hours of lighting is the norm for reef tanks and you should not adjust this. Instead research the water quality improvements I suggested.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

i didnt know you had a reef. and also you may want to get a timer if you dont already have one. i get off here since im not an expert on light. I for one dont know how much light certain corals need so youll probably need to get a fellow reef keeper to answer that

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com