HELP !!! Alagae problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I've had problems with this in the past when my nitrates got high but they are around 20ppm right now and I have had an explosion of reddish/brown algae in the tank since this morning..... Nothing is new except that I got a PC light fixture a week ago.... nothing seems to be dead or "missing"........ any ideas on how to keep this in check???

Two other quick notes..... There are alot of clear bubbles rising from the most of the algae....... and it seems to be heavier around the flow areas... ie filter, PH, Skimmer sponge intake........

O and a few days ago I added Seachem's Reef Complete with calcium, strontium and somethin else............................ Did a water change this weekend too with tap water.......

2Oppm is pretty high. Try getting that down. Do you have an RO unit? try waterchanges with RO water.

this exact same thing is happening with me except the algae part. I believe Ive figured it out. the extra lights started an algea bloom. since algea is a plant it has to release oxygen as part of the photosynthesis. that is why the bubbles are their. Though im not an expert on this that is just my opinion. this problem you and i have with the bubbles should die off soon in a couple weeks. maybe if you keeping your lights on more than 9 hours id say limit light a little and slowly work your way up.

The combination of new more powerful lighting and excess nutrients are causing the algae bloom. While your tank is adjusting to the new lighting I suggest you look into a RO/DI or DI unit, upgrade your protein skimmer if its not up to par, start a refugium with DSB and macros. All of the above will maximize your long term success.

You say the tank is adjusting to the light.... does that mean this bloom will die off??????? Or will this continue???? Also my lights are on for about twelve hours a day..... should I just leave them on at night when I get home?????? How will this affect the growth of the coraline algae, my shrooms, etc.........

i didnt know you had a reef. and also you may want to get a timer if you dont already have one. i get off here since im not an expert on light. I for one dont know how much light certain corals need so youll probably need to get a fellow reef keeper to answer that

c0mf0rt said:
You say the tank is adjusting to the light.... does that mean this bloom will die off??????? Or will this continue???? Also my lights are on for about twelve hours a day..... should I just leave them on at night when I get home?????? How will this affect the growth of the coraline algae, my shrooms, etc.........

Depends on your water quality. Changes in the lighting spectrum will favor certain types of algae's over others. This could be a short term bloom if your tank is still fairly new. If it has been up and running over 6 months this may be just the beginning. 12 hours of lighting is the norm for reef tanks and you should not adjust this. Instead research the water quality improvements I suggested.

i didnt know you had a reef. and also you may want to get a timer if you dont already have one. i get off here since im not an expert on light. I for one dont know how much light certain corals need so youll probably need to get a fellow reef keeper to answer that

Back
Top Bottom