HELP Aptasia!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i have a horrible aptasia problem. I have tried joes juice and does not seem to be working. It makes them dissapear for a while then it seems like 5 grow back in it's place. What do i do to get rid of them. I bet there are 100 in my tank or more.

Hook up some peppermint shrimp.... from what I hear they eat it like candy... are pretty cheap too.

Another vote for pepps--- buy from a reliable source...

I had a few (not 100s...) and bought 5 pepps - now aptaisia is all gone.

Joe's juice is most likely kiling the ones you squirt it on, the problem is they multiply so most likely new ones are popping up all over. I'd try to hit them with joe's juice everytime you see one pop up giving it less of a chance to throw off a few new ones.

I have use a thick Kalkwasser mix in a syringe, works great at killing the critters. Most people already have the Kalk, and syringes are about 25 cents each at any pharmacy (just ask, they are behind the counter).

I too did the kalk thing for most, then Joe's for the rest. Now have peps for maintenance and all gone. I had 150 easy. Heat up the kalk mixture for added results. Peps are hit and miss for eating the aptasia, usually only eat the smaller ones. They don't call these guys a pests for nothing. :evil:

Good Luck.

Well I have the pickling lime stuff. Now what do i need to do? Just add it to the aps like i would if i were using joes or what. Need details. Don't want to messup and kill all the coral in my tank and everything else. Thanks

Here is what I did:

1) Mix up Kalk and water in a small container. Try to thicken up the mixture to the point where you can just barely get it into the syringe.

2) Turn off powerheads in tank. This prevent the stuff from getting blown around.

3) Now toss the Kalk mixture in the microwave for a few seconds. Once it all bubbles up, you have reached killing temp.

4) Quickly inject a small ammount of mix into each Aiptasia. I squirt a tiny bit on the oral disc at first. They usually try eating it at first, then I try to stab it with the needle with more injection, then follow the thing into its hole and squirt more in the hole.

5) Repeat killing as needed.

6) Vacuum leftover Kalk out of tank.

7) Turn powerheads back on.

A lot of Kalk can raise your ph, this is why vacuuming out any excess after the killing is a good idea. It does not take much of an injection to kill these, as long as you get Kalk into the Aiptasia at some point, it should be dead. Also, I would do the tank sections at a time if you are worried about it. With over 100, it will be critical that you keep on top of it for a while. As soon as you seen any return, Kalk it right away.

Eventually I do think you can win against the Kalk. Too bad your Peppermints did not munch on the stuff.

sounds like it works i just have so much money invested in corals that i do not want anything to happend to them or my fish or inverts.

I know the feeling, I was worried about Kalking my tank and I do not even have any fish or corals yet. Start with a few and see how it goes. Check the surrounding area for any die back until you feel comfortable about it.

The kalk will stay in the area injected. Just start killing in a certain area and return to that area after injecting the rest. Then go through and vacuum up excess in the same order. You should be fine. The thick kalk just sinks, as long as ph is off.
Kind fun the first few times. :D

so i have to vacumm what is left in the tank when i am done
Strongly advised. If some remains not a big deal. But if you zap as many as it sounds like you need to, then you would have a good amount in the tank. At the same time, you would probably be able to suck up the dead Apt as well. Stuff works pretty quick :onfire:

Back
Top Bottom