help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ems067

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help.. I was doing a water change and forgot to turn off the heater it broke and brown stuff came out i tried to suck out at much ot the water in the filter as i could... i dont want to turn the filter back on unless i know that it will not kill everything by doing so. please help

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :D :D :D
I will ne honest...this is not good. Be prepared to do several water changes over the next few days. Also begin running fresh carbon or chemi-pure and replace it often. Syphin out whatever you can see and hope all goes well. good luck

Thank you for your advice. While I was doing my water change I was taking water out of the bucket. I do not believe that any of the water got into the tank. I drained the filter of all the water that was in there cleaned it out of all the debry. I am going to the LFS now and I am going to get chem pure and new filter pads. I cleaned out the protein skimmer as well just in case anything got into that. Any suggestions on heaters that shut themselves off. I would have a great deal more piece of mind knowing the heater will shut off automatically in the event of no water or my mistakes.
thanks again... and say a little prayer to the fish gods that they survive.

Ya had that happen and didnt find it for a week! Lost alot of corals and inverts and got shocked! ;)

As Lando mentioned: Carbon and water changes. Good luck.

:D I am happy to report that everyone made it through the night. Everyone appears to be happy and healthy. I purchased the new stealth heater which is plastic so it is shatter proof and most importantly error proof. I started my tank in July and this was my first crisis. I find I get very paniced when something goes wrong. I worry more about my fish then I do myself sometimes.
I think the thing that save me here was that I was there and saw it happen and the filter was not pumping at the time of the heater breaking. I drained out the entire filter, wiped it out, then also as an added precaution I bought new chem pure, cleaned out all the filters so hopefully it will not effect the fish. Thank you for your advice.

Glad to hear it...I too had that experience a few years ago...pulled the heater out of the water for a second without unplugging it, put it back in the water and POW! I didn't get shocked and none of my fish died...glad you were lucky like me! :)

Paul

ems067 said:
Any suggestions on heaters that shut themselves off. I would have a great deal more piece of mind knowing the heater will shut off automatically in the event of no water or my mistakes.
thanks again... and say a little prayer to the fish gods that they survive.

Visi-therm Stealth heaters
Ebo-Jager heaters

most good quality brands have auto-shut offs anymore.

The "brown stuff" was probably iron precipitating out of the water as the electrodes from the heater came in contact with the water.

JG

Back
Top Bottom