Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
Help before I give Up....Hair Algea BAD

I have tried almost anything to get rid of this hair algea....I even took each rock out of the tank and picked it off....bought new lights (PC's 2x65w 10,000k and 2 03's) It came back and worse this time.... If anyone can help please send me a message.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
Hair Algae just like any nussiance algea is caused from extra nutrients in your water such as phosphates. What type of water are you using right now tap, ro, ro/di? I would also try something such as phosban or another product which when put in a high flow area of the tank can absorb phosphates and silicates

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

need more info. the more the better.

Some questions that come to mind.

Do you use RO water?

have you checked your phosphate levels?

how often do you feed? Do you over feed?

What type of clean up crew do you have?

How long do you run your lights for?

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most hair algae growth is supported by excessive phosphates. Start dosing kalkwasser at night, which will bring your pH up to 8.6, and that will result in PO4 percipitation. After a couple of weeks, you should be completly done. Make sure to slowly prune it back, because you might get a total crash of algal growth after the PO4 goes down. Starve them, prune them, and win.

Andrej
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have enough algae eaters? Tangs, blennies, gobies, crabs? I had a real bad algae problem until we got the yellow tang, then we didn't add algae for him to eat untill he had taken care of all the algae in the tank.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
I started using RO when the problem first began, yellow tang does not touch it, and I have cut back the time my lights are on. Also using a phos-X. My clean up crew doesn't seem to be even touching the stuff, turbos, blue legs...I will be going to that fish place tomorrow, anything I should pick up? Also I do not have a protien skimmer, would that help in this situation?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Foxface loves that ugly algae. He will eat most any kind. My crab does a pretty good job as well.
You definitely want a protein skimmer! This will help you tremendously. Also, lack of water flow could be causing it too. What are you using for powerheads/pumps? Might be dead spots in there. Don't give up. We have all been there from one time to another. It's part of this hobby.

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 powerheads on each end of the tank, I actually turned them off. I thought I read somewhere that hair algea thrives in high currents....and this stuff is alll over, so my whole tank must be a dead spot....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would leave them on. Filtration is what keeps my algae down to a minimum. This will definitely give you dead spots in the tank.

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 12:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well they have been on, and problem getting worse, I have only had them off for a day or 2, my magnum is putting out a fair amount of current itself....

Tags
algea, hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com