Help... Blenny in a NEW aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so my 90g aquarium has just started cycling again using RO water, and 31lb uncured rock. There wasn't any nitrate spike as the uncured rock was already partially cleaned/cured over 2 weeks at the store... (scrubbed down and all.)

Last night I picked up another 96lb of live rock from an established aquarium. The owner is rennovating the house and moving his aquarium into the wall.. he had to get rid of some stuff during the rennovations and take the aquarium down. (apparently a bob-cat breaking down walls in the living room isn't good for a 200g aquarium...)

Anyway, the live rock is from a 5 year old aquarium, covered in purple algae, some mushrooms, a kenya tree, and some other nice little things.

This morning I look around the aquarium and I find a crab walking by... and a blenny!

Now from what I understand blennys should be introduced to an already established aquarium with lots of brown algae, and some may eat hair algae.

Now my aquarium doesn't have any algae, just what was moved over on the live rock... will this be enough to keep the blenny alive, or is there something else I can feed him? How about the hermit crab?

Thanks,
J

you cant really feed it hermit crab, did the person you got the rock from know about him having the blenny? if he did which im assuming he did ask him what he was feeding the tank/ the blenny its self. tough call, they usually require large amounts of pods of all sorts. maybe try some mysis shrimp. the experts will be able to give better advice on this.

Ouch, is he eating prepared food? If not, you may want to trade him in, otherwise he may starve.

roka.. that's what I was afraid of.
Not because I don't want to give him up ... but because he'll be very difficult to catch, he disappears in the rock work and only appears for fractions of a second at a time.

I'll try to get in touch with the owner and ask if he eats prepared food. (in which case I better get down to the LFS and pick some up...)

Try some different varieties of food and see if he eats. You might find something he likes. You could also try some garlic to see if it stimulates him to eat. Hopefully he will eat something.

He seems to be working on the current rocks pretty good. The 70lb of LR that was came from his previous home has a lot of algae on it... (I transported the rocks in water too, so there was minimal die-off). I notice when he works on the cured rock he chews up the die-off and spits it out. I'll try putting some food in there tonight.

Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom