Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help! BTA's taking over my 180

3 years ago (or so) I bought a pair of BTA's for a 75G with PC lighting.

Yeah, bad idea. One died after a month. The other one shrivelled up to the point it had no tentacles, and was all white.

I ordered MH lighting after losing the first one. The remaining BTA started improving immediately after that.

After 1 year, it had 1" tentacles, and was darker. Look close in the pic below for it, top center, just above the blue tang.

The last year has been different. About 8 months ago, it split into 3 buds. Then those 3 split again. Then two of those have each split.

They're not struggling - these guys are seriously growing. One of the (from the original) is over 10" across at times.

Now look:

I know this is a wierd problem to have, but does anyone have tips for getting these guys to slow down their growth before they take over my tank completely? I only feed them every week or two.

180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
I'd love to have a problem like that! I can't really help with hat though, sorry! I'd prbly take them to my LFS for some credit. But if you be sure that you don't break the foot, I'd break the rock apart to do it but that's all just me.

HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah, I am sure you LFS would love to have a BTA source that doesn't require accross country shipping.
65gal drilled Reef (3'x1.5'x2').

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
getting them off the rocks without damaging them will be the tricky part, but if you can do that sell them to local reefers or your fish store.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote

anenome, bta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com