Help! Caulerpa and other algae completely taking over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been battling algae in my 28g nanocube for almost as long as I've had the tank. Long story short, it started with a little bit of grape caulerpa. I didn't know what it was, so I let it grow back then. Since, it's taken over bad plagued the entire tank. I seem to have two types of caulerpa, cyano, and sine other algae, and I simply cannot get rid if it. Manual removal is impossible. I pull out a bucketload by the week, but I can't get the roots out of the rock, and it grows right back.

Some specs in the tank:
I have the standard LED lights and some assorted corals. I feed a small amount daily because I have a carpenter wrasse. Other livestock includes a clownfish, and some hermits and snails.
I've added a tunze 9002 skimmer and run carbon and phosphate media in a BRS reactor, though it has had no effect on algae...

Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all come up as 0 on my API test kit. Phosphates are 0 on my salifert kit, since I started phosphate media.

I have a 10 hr light cycle(I think), and do weekly 20% PWCs.

This algae problem is really driving me crazy. I'm ready to throw out all my rock and start over if I have to. In fact, I would, but I'm not sure my livestock would survive the transfer, and I'm not sure how to move my crocea clam to a new rock.

Here are some older pics. It was a lot worse, but I pulled out a bunch before taking this.
img_1876648_0_caa78dc1f233152f6903986900b9e93b.jpg

img_1876648_1_3dca31d86938a8d686caae224baedc7c.jpg

As you can see, any part of rock that doesn't have coral is covered it some algae or another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wit's end here!

--Adeeb

Lower your light duration , nutrients- lower them, water change and siphon it out

just start over yor wasting yor time trying to get rid of it.take all the rocks out and burn the weeds

Caulerpa is good for the rank. It removes nitrates. The cyano will go away with good water. Just make sure you have enough flow.

Hmm, lower lights to 8hrs, or less? Caulerpa might be good in a fuge, but not in the display :p Grows everywhere and covers corals.

And I do 20% PWCs weekly usually, though I was doing bi-weekly for a while. Didn't seem to cut down on caulerpa growth.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom