Help! Coral died. Stuff in tank now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mine.Mine.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Advice needed! I had a coral hammer who took a tumble over the weekend and sustained enough damage for him to start dying off. I yanked him out and had to do damage control (filter out parts of him floating around) and cleaned some. did a partial water change as well. problem : i noticed these little white things on the glass of the tank, they don't appear to be aptasia, but i am unsure what they are. i can't get a good enough photo of them to post. i have also noticed some brown algae on my heater (which i cleaned off) and a tiny bit on a rock, and glass. i dont know this has to be from the coral decomposing before i could get it safely out of the tank, but what else can i do to help? i only have 2 clownfish, and a goby. i do have a turbo snail, and 10 hermits, and 4 snails... so i have a small clean up crew. prior to the coral dying i was contemplating getting a wrasse or a cleaner shrimp, now that decision seems even better.

any thoughts? any past expierences with corals kicking the bucket and the tank suffering as a result?

I had a frogspawn fall behind some rocks and it looked like it was dieing once I got it out I set it up and in a few hours it started looking better it had been there for about 3 days. I have had a few corals die but nothing that effected the tank.

Check this out and see if any of these you are dealing with Hitch Hiking Copepods, Isopods and Amphipods

Here is a pictures, gotta look hard. They are spread out a bit all over

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110614_110013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110614_110013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 194
  • ForumRunner_20110614_110022.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110614_110022.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 168
  • ForumRunner_20110614_110043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110614_110043.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 193
I agree with with joy if the white thing are amphipods you with notice them moving around the glass. Your fish will also eat them. Its natural food for them. I've had them in my tank and my fish took care of them. I have 2 hammers myself and one of them took a fall but no hammers fell off it just retracted itself. It should be fine just put it back where it was and watch it everyday to see what it does.

Its not the 'pods'. They are attached go the glass and look like they have feathers sprouting. I really don't know How yo describe it. I did have some brown spots growing on my heater and some spots left around the tank randomly.

are they growing in a circular pattern? small feather dusters? are they hard to the touch?
as for the coral dying, just do a water change, sucking out anything you see that's not supposed to be there. no biggie.

"Spirorbid worms are tiny, coiled tube worms that will often come from live rock and get on the tank glass. Being only a few millimeters in size they can be hard to notice at first. You will usually see these worms in a newer tank as they will decline in numbers as the tank matures. They are also filter feeders and are beneficial, found in tanks with high nutrients."

No, its different from those, they aren't on the rock. I had scrubbed them off the glass once before and then they reappeared. They are see through with some white color at the ends

They start to grow on the glass as well. They're pretty easy to scrub off.

OK, ill take a chill pill. It seemed like this combined with some brown algae all appeared with the death of the coral.

Back
Top Bottom