Help crabs are being killed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi need some help as all my hermit crabs are being killed by something and the guy in shop ain't no help. I've put some new ones in and done the drip method like I do with everything I add, all my tests are good now as few months had red algae as was feeding my fish 3 times aday but now it's gone and have cut down on my feeding so think someone's hungry haha. Here's list of what I got in tank; 2 clowns. 1 regal tang. 1 flame angle . 1 Royal Gramma. 1 Emperor Cardinal. 1 sand shifting goby

Could be your crabs killin each other... I went from 15 to 2 in the matter of a couple months.

All I have is empty shells and have looked all over but can't find any live ones

3x a day feeding is a awful lot to feed
I would be concerned with ammonia phos nitrates ect
as for your hermits my flame angel loved to munch on my inverts
he also munched on my clam
just a few things to look at
just out of curiosity what size tank is this there's nothing in your profile

I'm not feeding them 3x now as stated I've cut down due to red algae. I'm thinking it my flame as he's only been in few months and this happened over last month. My tank is 75 us gallon

Do you have any other inverts? Shrimp, emerald crabs, snails? If so, are these getting picked off too?

Yeah got cleaner,sexy and peppermint plus few different snails but all are ok

Then I would lean towards them killing each other. Anything that eats crabs would most likely go after a snail too.

Well really can't see it being that as ain't seen any crabs for few wks now and even the new ones shells are empty

I saw my cleaner eating a hermit the other day. At first I thought it was just a molt but it looked like he was pulling meat out of the carcass. I think he was eating a hermit. As for who killed the hermit??? But I am watching my cleaner shrimp more closely.

Wish I knew who's at it lol well only started to happen now as was over feeding them and have cut down so someone's hungry

Hi there just want to know if bristle worms could of killed my crabs as have seen few after lights go out and have cut back on my feeding so might go for easy meal

Back
Top Bottom