Help cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua786

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's first like to say Hi. As I'm new to this forum.

So, firstly, im setting up a 12gal FOWLR I've recently just started the cycle, so far I've mixed in salt wIth water.
My questions are:
When can I add my live sand?
When can I add live rock?
And in which order shall I cycle my tank?

Thanks

Welcome to AA :) if your salinity is correct and you have flow in the tank build your aquascape then add sand so the rocks don't adjust from burrowers. You don't need live sand though its pretty pointless.

Mrc8858 said:
Welcome to AA :) if your salinity is correct and you have flow in the tank build your aquascape then add sand so the rocks don't adjust from burrowers. You don't need live sand though its pretty pointless.

Thanks for the welcome. So do I add rocks first then sand? Or is it alright if I put in sand then rocks? And I thought the live sand helps break down ammonia etc. ? :s

You want rocks first and then sand. The reason is down the road if you add any fish or shrimp that burrow they will make tunnels under the rock and it will cause your rock work to shift. The thing with live sand is you have now way of knowing how it was handled so a lot of the time it is dead anyway. Using live rock will seed the sand and it will become live.

22engine said:
You want rocks first and then sand. The reason is down the road if you add any fish or shrimp that burrow they will make tunnels under the rock and it will cause your rock work to shift. The thing with live sand is you have now way of knowing how it was handled so a lot of the time it is dead anyway. Using live rock will seed the sand and it will become live.

+1 that sums it up ;)

Okay cool, so as soon as I find my ammonia and nitrate levels at low. I can add some rocks, and a couple(2/3) days later after that's cycled i can put my sand in? Correct ?

No you need to put everything in now then begin your cycle.

Yeah, thats what I meant, cause I was doing a 'precycle' cause I had used tap water. So to get it clear, I can do my aquascaping, then I can put in my sand straight after?

Aqua786 said:
Yeah, thats what I meant, cause I was doing a 'precycle' cause I had used tap water. So to get it clear, I can do my aquascaping, then I can put in my sand straight after?

Yes. Rock then sand already have salt water and then ammonia source and wait. Also be careful with tap water. Can cause big problems. If you don't want to buy RO/DI water. May I suggest getting a unit for your house to make your own. Bulk reef supply has good ones

Awwryte. Cool. Well thanks for helping me get started guys :)

Must agree, with such a small tank you really need a RODI unit. Things go wrong fast in this hobby already, in a 12 gallon tank it can go bad instantly. And using tap water, you are putting all kinds of chemicals into you tank and will be plagued with algae outbreaks

Holygral said:
Must agree, with such a small tank you really need a RODI unit. Things go wrong fast in this hobby already, in a 12 gallon tank it can go bad instantly. And using tap water, you are putting all kinds of chemicals into you tank and will be plagued with algae outbreaks

+1 i agree on the tap water unless you have uv sterilizer it will cause major algae if possible id drain it and change it out itll save a huge headache later
i put eggcrate on bottom of tank to protect the glass then stack your rock then add sand

I don't mean to be picky, but I've seen people do it with tap water plenty of times? And a lot of people said as long as I use prime and quarantine the water for a while it should be okay ?

Well I will deffo invest in an RO Unit, since it's more efficent and more better

Aqua786 said:
Well I will deffo invest in an RO Unit, since it's more efficent and more better

Do those people who use tapwater have long term success? 3 or more years?

danbstrong said:

Lmao, I see what your getting at.

danbstrong said:

Tapwater in my location is loaded with nitrate algaes main food source i cant use it here i have heard of people using it before but the only ones that have success have a uv sterilizer and appropriate nitrate filters just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom