Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Aqua786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Help cycling new tank

It's first like to say Hi. As I'm new to this forum.

So, firstly, im setting up a 12gal FOWLR I've recently just started the cycle, so far I've mixed in salt wIth water.
My questions are:
When can I add my live sand?
When can I add live rock?
And in which order shall I cycle my tank?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Aqua786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Welcome to AA if your salinity is correct and you have flow in the tank build your aquascape then add sand so the rocks don't adjust from burrowers. You don't need live sand though its pretty pointless.
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Aqua786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Welcome to AA if your salinity is correct and you have flow in the tank build your aquascape then add sand so the rocks don't adjust from burrowers. You don't need live sand though its pretty pointless.
Thanks for the welcome. So do I add rocks first then sand? Or is it alright if I put in sand then rocks? And I thought the live sand helps break down ammonia etc. ? :s
__________________
Aqua786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
22engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI
Posts: 1,276
You want rocks first and then sand. The reason is down the road if you add any fish or shrimp that burrow they will make tunnels under the rock and it will cause your rock work to shift. The thing with live sand is you have now way of knowing how it was handled so a lot of the time it is dead anyway. Using live rock will seed the sand and it will become live.
__________________
22engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22engine
You want rocks first and then sand. The reason is down the road if you add any fish or shrimp that burrow they will make tunnels under the rock and it will cause your rock work to shift. The thing with live sand is you have now way of knowing how it was handled so a lot of the time it is dead anyway. Using live rock will seed the sand and it will become live.
+1 that sums it up
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Aqua786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Okay cool, so as soon as I find my ammonia and nitrate levels at low. I can add some rocks, and a couple(2/3) days later after that's cycled i can put my sand in? Correct ?
__________________
Aqua786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
No you need to put everything in now then begin your cycle.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Aqua786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Yeah, thats what I meant, cause I was doing a 'precycle' cause I had used tap water. So to get it clear, I can do my aquascaping, then I can put in my sand straight after?
__________________
Aqua786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
22engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: RI
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua786
Yeah, thats what I meant, cause I was doing a 'precycle' cause I had used tap water. So to get it clear, I can do my aquascaping, then I can put in my sand straight after?
Yes. Rock then sand already have salt water and then ammonia source and wait. Also be careful with tap water. Can cause big problems. If you don't want to buy RO/DI water. May I suggest getting a unit for your house to make your own. Bulk reef supply has good ones
__________________
22engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Aqua786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Awwryte. Cool. Well thanks for helping me get started guys
__________________

__________________
Aqua786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.