Help! Dead coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got this in the mail. It doesn't look too good to me. what do you think? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434076178.601006.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434076194.987299.jpg

I've never seen a dead coral personally.

Sense I got 4 other Zoanthid frags other then this one and they all looked to be in good health I guess I assumed this one was a goner. Again I've never seen a dead one so I don't know but I just think it looks terrible especially compared to the others.

Looks fine to me.

Just out of curiosity what makes you think it looks ok? I just really believe it looks terrible. And it has a few polyps that are semi open but shows no activity if touched or anything like my other zoas. The other frags I've gotten have already started opening in my QT. but This one I don't even want to take out of the bag. So just for knowledge sake could you let me know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity what makes you think it looks ok? I just really believe it looks terrible. And it has a few polyps that are semi open but shows no activity if touched or anything like my other zoas. The other frags I've gotten have already started opening in my QT. but This one I don't even want to take out of the bag. So just for knowledge sake could you let me know?

you will never know how they are if you don't put them in the tank.

Ok so an update on this Zoa if you guys want one. Ive been keeping a close eye on this guy sense the other day and haven't seen ANY improvement. It actually looks like parts of it are rotting off and it's barely hanging by a thread to the rock that is glued to the frag plug. I've seen no retraction or opening of the polyps. Everything is just hanging out like in the previous picture. The store I bought it from is calling it dead and I think it's pretty safe to say now.

Nothing looks wrong with that to me... More harm would of been done by not putting it in water movement.

Zoanthids are pretty hardy. Unless there's something like a pest living on the plug just give it time. I would NOT throw it away. It is NOT dead...

It's still in my tank and I planned to watch it more regardless of what I thought because of you guys saying it was fine. I won't be letting go of it for awhile

Well I'm gonna leave it in for awhile. I am inexperienced so no better way to learn. I almost prefer it to fall off the plug. Frag plugs are ugly as hell

Another update. I've moved the Zoas to the top rock in my DT to see if some extra light would help them improve. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434722230.081578.jpg
The Zoas on the left were the ones I originally posted about. They are still basically the same but from this angle they appear to be improving. The Zoa right next to it however it's definitely showing that it is mostly dead.

here's a shot of the Zoa on the right by itself a few days ago. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434722364.539690.jpg

Most of the polyps have melted away

They haven't melted away, they are simply closed up. There is something either bothering them or they aren't happy with where they are. If the zoas were to melt away, that frag plug would be clean and only a piece of rock left.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434723044.474345.jpg

Here's a better shot of the one on the right. Previous photo was from few days ago. The polyps aren't there anymore.

And they have? I have 2 remaining polyps that look fine opposed to the 8 that are no longer there

I have seen many polyps that I rescued from the LFS trash can recover and prosper. Until they decompose, they have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And I don't doubt that now after the advice from the people who have responded gave to me. I have kept the Zoas in my tank and watched them closely on a daily basis. But now unfortunately the second Zoa I had in question did face a loss of most of its polyps. They have dissolved completely as shown in the picture. I'll be caring for the remaining polyps and helping it regrow

Back
Top Bottom