Help dealing with Hydroids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ketchup318

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I've been battling digitate hydroids for a few months now. It started off as a few here and there, and I used to pluck them, or scorch them with boiling water. But after a few months, they've really come back with a fury...

The don't seem to sting like I've read, and they also don't seem to bother my Xenia or Zoas too much. I've seen the wavy part brush against both my softies and they don't seem to mind. But as I progress to other corals, I'm wondering if I should just deal with it now as opposed to later.

So it sounds like my two options are using chemicals, or cooking the rocks, both harsh options in my opinion. With chemicals, I hear that panacur works great, but it leeches into the rocks, and makes the tank unsafe for all inverts, forever. I have a pistol shrimp and assorted CUC inverts, so I don't want to do that.

The other option is cooking the rock... either long term or short term. The lng term option is akin to curing the rock. It saves the coraline and basically starves the hydroids. The shorter version is to cook the rock in a pot on the BBQ outside...

I'd like to see what people say... I'm weighing both sets of options and would like some advice. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom