HELP! Diotom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigreefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank just had a huge diatom bloom out of nowhere and my ph is swinging from 8.20 to 8.50 in a 24 hour period! What can i do before i have a system crash !?

Ph naturally swing a little through the day, kind of like weight I look at it. Check around the same time each day. Ph seems to drop at night. Diatoms are normal and really not much to worry about. They will clear up. Is this a new setup?

No its been going for about 10 months. Some of my sps have died off were they got covered with dio. I did large water change but no help. Im curious if its my salt.

Diatoms could happen in the first year and IMO anything under a year is a new setup. Could check your bulbs. Maybe time for change if almost a year old.

Ph swings are completely normal. 8.2 to 8.5 is golden. Mine are 8.0 to 8.3. Right before lights on will be lowest ph and right before lights off will be highest ph.

Diatoms should disappear soon as all the silicates they feed on are gone. Are you sure its diatoms and not something else like cyanobacteria?

There is old filters that can get rid of diatoms, I was just reading about them in tropical fish magazine. It's called a diatomaceous earth filter or de filter, the article said they were popular back in the 80's and after they get rid of the diatoms, then they will just polish the water.

Yes i use ro water. And yes def dios. Brown slime not there in The morning but by 12-2 they are everywere and full of bubbles

And i installed leds about two monthes ago so lights should be good

image-1479245114.jpg

Pic 1

Attachments

• image-3002079379.jpg
    image-3002079379.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom