Help! Eel jumping out of tank - what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a gorgeous blue ribbon eel who was very very active when I put him in the tank last night. the LFS (of course) mentioned nothing about them being jumpers (though I should have done my own research as well).

The lights turned on this morning and sure enough he was active as ever. I came back a few hours later and couldn't see him. Searched the tank and sure enough he was on the floor. Must have been there for atleast 30 minutes! I picked him up and put him in a drum of water I had sitting for a water change later this afternoon. Sure enough he came back to life.

I've put him back into the main tank, but now I need to find out how to properly cover the tank. I've attached a picture, and the lights you see are very hot and strong metal hallides, so I'm not sure how to go about covering the tank, without interfering with the lighting or metaling anything.

Thoughts?

ps- i know the tank is dirty, massive algee issues since getting the lights, switching to an RO shortly.

Attachments

• IMG00705-20091212-1150.jpg
    IMG00705-20091212-1150.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 119
will eggcrate melt? The lights are very hot.

I made my cover using the DIY screen kit from HomeDepot. You can do a search for 1/4" or 1/2" Screen on the net to find someone that sells by the foot. That's what I did.

img_1057375_0_75a483af5567aac69079d435c845e270.jpg

eggcrate is designed to be under lights... im sure it will melt of course, since it is plastic, but unless its melting the plastic trim around the top of your tank, i doubt it will melt the egg crate

Don't do the eggcrate, my 70watt MH melted it over my nano.

They are escape artist and a tight fitting screen or glass is needed. I have known alot of folks that lost their eels this way.

I would go with a glass top. I know all-glass and perfecto brand tanks sell them separately for each size of tank. That would be my advice.

The only reason I didn't wanna go with glass is I've been told it will reduce the light from my lamps. Maybe not visually, but in terms of the amount of light the corals will receive.

Thought?

The problem with glass is that it traps heat but also promotes low PH in the tank due to poor gas exchange at the surface.

I'm not sure if that is true or not. I haven't heard of that if it is. I've had a glass top on my tank since day one and the corals (some of which require pretty intense light) seem to do just fine with the light still getting through, even with just the PC lights. I would be sure that you clean off the salt spots on the glass every so often if it is true though. The only thing I would question is if it would increase the temp of the water or not. But it would keep the eel in the tank.

I'm not sure if that is true or not. I haven't heard of that if it is. I've had a glass top on my tank since day one and the corals (some of which require pretty intense light) seem to do just fine with the light still getting through, even with just the PC lights. I would be sure that you clean off the salt spots on the glass every so often if it is true though. The only thing I would question is if it would increase the temp of the water or not. But it would keep the eel in the tank.
regardless of whether it blocks light or not, it is a proven fact (ask me, been there done that) that poor oxygen exchange at the top of the tank will lower ph. If the co2 cant be degassed at the top of the tank because of a glass lid almost sealing it in, the ph will drop. Ive experienced this myself and im sure alot of other people have as well. Im sure in Melosu's 11+ years of experience, he has as well. It has absoultely nothing to do with salt creep inhibiting the light from passing through, its about the all important oxygen exchange that is required on any aquarium, whether freshwater or saltwater

For sure if you block the top of your tank with glass, there is no gas exchange. Resulting in low PH. I too, have been there done that.

Back
Top Bottom