Help Fast Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more thing on the sand...as someone mentioned, releasing gas from the sand can harm the inhabitants. Usually only if you disturb a large portion of sand, especially a dsb all at once.

Well this is weird cause that's all I did and I'm using RO

Last edited by a moderator:
leftyfish said:
I've created many sandstorms in my tank, never has anyone died. There has to be something else going on. Think of the ocean, sand gets disturbed all the time, fish can handle the sand.

Sorry everyone died :(

Using tap water is not going to kill them either. If your fish are laying down or looking bad then for goodness sake make up a batch of saltwater with tap if that is all you have. Use something to remove chlorine and match temp and salinity quickly and get the fish in the bucket.

Did your inverts die too?

No they survived

I just cleaned the sand by moving removing the chunks of sand

How long ago was the last/newest fish added? Also, did you clean the canister filter out with the algae cleaning? Could have killed your biological filter depending on how much live rock you have in your tank. Do you have powerheads that kept the water circulating while cleaning the canister? There are so many things that could have happened, it would be better to figure out what caused it before getting more fish.

leftyfish said:
How long ago was the last/newest fish added? Also, did you clean the canister filter out with the algae cleaning? Could have killed your biological filter depending on how much live rock you have in your tank. Do you have powerheads that kept the water circulating while cleaning the canister? There are so many things that could have happened, it would be better to figure out what caused it before getting more fish.

About one month ago. And I currently have 70 Lbs of live rock added more eventually

I checked everything in my tank and everything is perfect I just don't get why they all died then. My hermit crabs and cleaner shrimp and my sand conch are doing fine too.

Did any of your fish get covered in white spots or have trouble breathing... Maybe a disease, I'm new to the salt side of the hobby but is there a chance it could be marine velvet? I herd that shows no signs often until everything is dead

Mr. D said:
Did any of your fish get covered in white spots or have trouble breathing... Maybe a disease, I'm new to the salt side of the hobby but is there a chance it could be marine velvet? I herd that shows no signs often until everything is dead

Nope when I woke up the we're on the sea floor and dead in the full bright colors.

Using tap water is not going to kill them either.
I'm not saying that using tap water today will kill your fish today. That would be nonsense. However, tap water can contain a lot of stuff we don't want in our tanks. And it can bind to the rock and sand and build up for years, much like copper can. So yes, after years of using tap water, tap water can kill your fish.

I just cleaned the sand by moving removing the chunks of sand

Chunks? Chunks of sand? That does not sound right. Why is your sand chunky? How deep is it, and what size of chunks were you removing?

Saltwaterman said:
Nope when I woke up the we're on the sea floor and dead in the full bright colors.

Idk but I really think you had a ammonia spike. ! If you cleaned out your canister with regular water and not tank water than that created a cycle .

squidward said:
Idk but I really think you had a ammonia spike. ! If you cleaned out your canister with regular water and not tank water than that created a cycle .

So I was suppose to clean with tank water??? Now I know thx

And my ammonia was 0 tbh

MacDracor said:
I'm not saying that using tap water today will kill your fish today. That would be nonsense. However, tap water can contain a lot of stuff we don't want in our tanks. And it can bind to the rock and sand and build up for years, much like copper can. So yes, after years of using tap water, tap water can kill your fish.

Chunks? Chunks of sand? That does not sound right. Why is your sand chunky? How deep is it, and what size of chunks were you removing?

More like flakes, and all sizes. Sand is about 2 inches

What's your salinity in the tank? And using old tank water from your water changes to clean your filter media is the way to go.

CorallineAlgae said:
What's your salinity in the tank? And using old tank water from your water changes to clean your filter media is the way to go.

My salinity is 0.25

Back
Top Bottom