Help feeding a peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one peppermint shrimp in a tank with 6 hermit crabs. At first my concern was if they would get along. So far, no problems.

But the shrimp is too timid to be hand fed, and he hides most of the time. If I put food in the tank, the hermits converge on it quickly. I would rather not dump in so much food the hermits are full, that doesn't seem to be a good idea. I am concerned about the shrimp getting enough (anything) to eat.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The shrimp will forage at night after lights off. It like any other scavenger will eat whatever it finds including detritus. If your concerned it's not getting enough, one or two carefully placed sinking pellets in front of it's hiding place should do it.

Cheers
Steve

You don't need to worry about your pepp. Caught mine the other day feeding off the powerhead sponge. 8O I can always see mine scooting around in my rocks. must be doing something right, dang things seem to molt every other week. :roll:

Excessive molting is stressful to shrimp. It can be caused by high levels of toxic compounds (iodine is one) which the shrimp rid from their bodies by molting. Of course normal molting from a shrimp outgrowing its exoskeleton is harmless. Shrimp are vulnerable to attack for a few hours after a molt.

Back
Top Bottom