Help fireworms Hermodice carunculata are eating my coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shugaskull

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The tank is only 55gals with a 10gal refugium. My corals have been decimated by fireworms 'Hermodice carunculata' a specific type of bristle worms that eat everything. They are crafty little devils and know when the tweezers are coming. I have tried the bottle with a cone of netting that has food in it to trap them (like a small crab trap) with no luck. So what i am asking for is advice on traps and what kind of creatures eat them. Bear in mind that there is a large serpent star (a green brittle star 'Ophiarachna incrassata') that has eaten many fish. I have 5 damsel fish 'stegastes variabilis' that know to be weary of the bringer of death and a tomato clown 'Amphiprion frenatus' that hangs out with the star. Very funny friendship but it keeps the tomato clown from being picked on. So saying that there is a constant treat to the whatever fish eats the fireworms is an understatement. Shrimp are out of the question because they are just an expensive dinner. Crabs make it sometimes but unless they have a shell (like hermits) they don't last. Understanding that some wrasse have a hard palate they might be able to eat them. What species of wrasse or other fish are the best for fireworms? What crabs are best to eat them? What other creatures vertebrate or invertebrate eat them? Tonight I will be trying the nylon stocking with food in it to see if that works. If it doesn't I will go get a PVC pipe next. Other trap ideas would be appreciated, but I'm really looking to add to the food chain. Thank you for your time and PLEASE HELP.

Also understand that it is a chem free system. We have removed all mechanical filtration and really on natural siphoning threw live rock, other natural medias and life forms for cleaning. The water tests are in a healthy range and is not the issue. I just want to know how to knock back or completely remove the Fireworms in a natural way. Thank you again

Mind you i have not encountered such a problem. But i have been recently researching RTN because i was shipped a coral that was partially bleach. Over the course of this research i came across Coral RX which removes bristles worms when you dip it in. This is a precautionary measure prior to putting it in your tank ofcourse i dont see why you cannot try to QT the coral while utilizing this product aleast saving you corals and fish. Goodluck dude wish i could be more help.

Mind you i have not encountered such a problem. But i have been recently researching RTN because i was shipped a coral that was partially bleach. Over the course of this research i came across Coral RX which removes bristles worms when you dip it in. This is a precautionary measure prior to putting it in your tank ofcourse i dont see why you cannot try to QT the coral while utilizing this product aleast saving you corals and fish. Goodluck dude wish i could be more help.

I have done research on rapid tissue necrosis (RTN) and have alot to learn on that subjugate. Sadly enough I have witnessed the fireworms eating my environment. There was a birds nest who literally got sucked dry before my eyes. As the greedy worms ate all life till the bare bones were left to wither. I will look into "Coral RX" but please understand that this is a chem free tank. Thanks for the suggestions, and the wish of good luck..

Back
Top Bottom