Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, that's the one. However, I used to have 2 of the 1200 and one 600 in the tank. It seemed that everyone including the fish hated it because it was too much. Then I gradually removed them until the corals and fish seemed to like it better. They are/were set up as circulation pumps. The calcium is at 400ppm, phosphate 0.05, nitrate 0 ppm, amonia 0 and nitrite 0. Alkalinity is around 8dkH or 143.2 ppm KH.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpf View Post
Yes, that's the one. However, I used to have 2 of the 1200 and one 600 in the tank. It seemed that everyone including the fish hated it because it was too much. Then I gradually removed them until the corals and fish seemed to like it better. They are/were set up as circulation pumps. The calcium is at 400ppm, phosphate 0.05, nitrate 0 ppm, amonia 0 and nitrite 0. Alkalinity is around 8dkH or 143.2 ppm KH.

Your cal is at the bottom of where it should be, and your all is low as well. Bleaching is caused by too much light or bulbs going wacko, which is why I asked when the last time you changed them.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Your cal is at the bottom of where it should be, and your all is low as well. Bleaching is caused by too much light or bulbs going wacko, which is why I asked when the last time you changed them.
thank you for the reply. I have not changed the bulbs in about 7 months. However, they seem to be working for the other corals -though I know the hammer requires more light than the other ones. How often should you change them?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Bulbs get weaker over time, not stronger. Changing them is not going to correct the bleaching.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like this thread because it has shown me that some people really have no idea, but still give conflicting advice!
I have not been in this hobby a very long time, so when I have a problem I ask here and ask google! Google it! What causes bleaching in coral! Stress and too much light!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Bleaching is caused by stress. Whether that be to much light, poor water quality, acidic water, etc... To much light is not the only trigger for a coral to start bleaching
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I was just making my point about earlier comments that not enough light causes bleaching!

Tags
bleach, bleaching, chi, coral, coral bleaching, hammer, leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com