Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP!!! Hammer coral bleaching...

Hello guys, I need help with a hammer coral I have. Let me start with the basics. It is a 55Gal tank that has been running for a little over a year. The current livestock is two green chromis, one six line wrasse, a chalk bass, a orange skink clown, diamond goby and two cleaner shrimp. I also have some mushroom corals, pulsing xenia, gsp, and a kenya tree. The other corals are all fine. I currently have a six T5 fixture with three white and 3 actinic. The tank is kept a 78, and the hammer is located on the sand bed. I also add fuel from seachem every two weeks when I do a water change. Any ideas what could be going on with the hammer? Its been in the tank for close to 5 months. The nitrites and ammonia are 0, while the nitrates read zero but there is a little bit of algae in the hob refugium.

Any advice would deeply be appreciated!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You need a T5HO system. It needs to be a high output lighting system. You might want to move it up to the top level. Npt getting enough lighting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bleaching means to much light! Or bad water conditions!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bleaching is usually not enough light, if it was too much it would be closing up or melting
Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long has it been turning white? When's the last time you changed your bulbs?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stop using Fuel. It's not for LPS and softies. It's mainly for SPS though there are much cheaper alternatives. Hammers are omnivores and get what they need from the light but do really well with meaty foods - I recommend PE mysis shrimp because of the fatty acids and other good things. Feed them one per head 2-3 times a week and you'll see growth. Softies don't need anything but good light.

Get a Salifert nitrate kit. You may be using API and they're not very accurate.

+1 on the lighting. If you can afford about $250, you could upgrade to LED's that would allow you to grow ANY corals you wanted.

Also, what's your flow situation? How many power heads and what's the sump situation like?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies View Post
Stop using Fuel. It's not for LPS and softies. It's mainly for SPS though there are much cheaper alternatives. Hammers are omnivores and get what they need from the light but do really well with meaty foods - I recommend PE mysis shrimp because of the fatty acids and other good things. Feed them one per head 2-3 times a week and you'll see growth. Softies don't need anything but good light.

Get a Salifert nitrate kit. You may be using API and they're not very accurate.

+1 on the lighting. If you can afford about $250, you could upgrade to LED's that would allow you to grow ANY corals you wanted.

Also, what's your flow situation? How many power heads and what's the sump situation like?
I wouldn't feed it, that will probably stress it out more. They don't need any food. Mine grows fine without it. I think you need more light as well. Move it up
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies, I will try moving it up. However, I had it in the sand bed because that's the place with the least water flow. From my understanding they don't like strong flow, correct? I mean I only have the return point and a Marineland 1200 power head generating water movement
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

True but ime they will learn to accept more flow. Mine used to be in super low flow, then I added an mp10 and now he's in moderate flow and is fine
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Bleaching is not from lack of light. Browning would be IME. Marineland 1200? DO you mean this-
http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-powerheads/11442-526460/marineland-marineland-maxi-jet-water-pump-and-powerhead.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_med ium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CNK1n_Wqq7wCFQHNO godukkAkA

If so, how do you have it set up? If it's not set up to be pushing 1300 gph, then you don't have nearly enough flow in the tank. I wonder if your nutrient levels are high.

Tags
bleach, bleaching, chi, coral, coral bleaching, hammer, leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com