HELP! Hammer coral help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I need some advice please.

My tank has been running for 6 months, I used the water from my old tank when I moved everything over to the new one, (just over half the volume of my new tank) my old tank had been running for just over 13months without any problems, all water parameters were spot on.

I have since bought some corals for the new tank. I have an elegance coral, a monti, green geuinepora, red geuinepora, torch coral, sun coral and a hammer coral.

All my corals are doing really well and growing nicely. That is except the hammer! I am on my 3rd hammer now, I had a nice big hammer to start with that got brown jelly disease, then I bought a branching hammer, that got brown jelly disease and my latest hammer has brown jelly disease!!!!!!

All parameters are fine, temp 25.5c salinity 1.025, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.05, ph 8.2, kh 9, phos 0. Calcium 420. Magnesium 1300.

Why are all my corals fine apart from the hammers? Any advice greatly received. The hammer coral is one of my favourite, just wish I could keep them alive.

Are you buying fragged hammers? If you're buying grabs and they are newly cut, there's a good chance they will get brown jelly. It happened to me. But then it learned to either buy a whole colony (which is what I did and it's huge now) or buy one that's been fragged for a while and healthy. It should have no "white" cut areas on it. This still won't 100% guarantee it won't get injured during travel and still get brown jelly, but of transport is gentle you have a much better chance. Hope this helps!

Are you buying fragged hammers? If you're buying grabs and they are newly cut, there's a good chance they will get brown jelly. It happened to me. But then it learned to either buy a whole colony (which is what I did and it's huge now) or buy one that's been fragged for a while and healthy. It should have no "white" cut areas on it. This still won't 100% guarantee it won't get injured during travel and still get brown jelly, but of transport is gentle you have a much better chance. Hope this helps!

Well the first one I bought was fragged but about 1 month before I purchased it, the other 2 I brought console from abroad and they had been cut of the reef.

I will try and find a hole colony, see how I get on with that.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom