Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

HELP HELP HELP!

I am fish sitting my friends tank while he is in England and the porky pine puffer is in trouble.

The curious thing got himself wedged in a reef rock, his is stuck in there prety deep and he can't frre himself.

Hes been like that for a day or so and my LFS told me to leave him, and that if a fish can get in there he can get out.

I am having trouble believing this, it seems his spikes are preventing him from getting out, seems like they are getting stuck on the rock when he trys to wiggle out. The rock is huge and I can't take it out of the water cause its a puffer, I was thinking about breaking the rock but the more I thought about it and the way he is stuck it seems impossible...

Can anyone help me out?

Old 06-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't try to break the rock you'll probably only break the bottom of the tank. If you can move to rock any you might try that otherwise I agree with your LFS, if it got in it can probably get back out. JMO

Old 06-10-2003, 12:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with if he can get in, he can get out. If you try to help him, you may make him angry, and he might try to puff up and really get stuck. A healthy fish can live for about week with no food, so maybe the owner would be back by then to alleviate the problem.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The puffers color looks lighter then usual and he is breathing heavy, do you think the stress will kill him?
Old 06-10-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
he's pretty stress.. i've seen a porky puffer at a pet club store that had no tail.. he didn't swim much.. looked pretty stressed.. but he lived for about 3 weeks already.. i think he is still there.. just be careful.. i lost a hippo tang or pacific blue tang due to that situation.. didn't know it was dead until a couple days later.. sad story..
Old 06-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

He's still stuck, last time I saw him free was Saturday, If he is still stuck when I check on him after work I am busting him out before he dies of starvation and stress...
Old 06-11-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I couldn't wait any longer and I didn't want him to die so I broke him free with plyers... the actual break point of the coral was very small and it snapped easy. The coral fell to the right not harming th puffer and he swam right out and came up to the glass to say thanks...

He seems allright minus the scratches he indured while wiggling for 4 days, I threw a piece of squid in there for him and he ate it up, I think he will be ok.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
good job if that was my fish i would be thankful you did it
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Haha! I LOVE the pic of the puffer. He looks so happy. I swear he's smiling!

-j
Old 06-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL your right, he is smiling... hehe :P

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com