Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
By the time I get my fish, the QT will have been filled with water (water with very high nitrites) for just under a week (I haven't taken the water out yet),
Sorry I don't follow. Are you using water from your main tank that has high nitrites or just commenting that the QT has high nitrites? I would use newly prepared SW that has aged a day or two to fill the QT. Not "seasoned" tank water.

Quote:
but my filter hasn't been switched on and the water hasn't been aerated or heated.
If the filters only been off for a few hours it will be fine. If much longer the bacteria in the filter will be dead. Especially if it's a canister which will smell like sulphur when you open it.

Quote:
Will my 2 filter pads still be ok? There's been no ammonia source for a week either, of course.
If you mean the filter has been dormant for a week with the pads in them, then they won't be any good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The filter has been turned off for a week - there's still water in the QT, but no ammonia source for a week.

OK, looks like I'll put one of the pads back in my main tank for a couple of weeks then.

Old 06-26-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
The filter has been turned off for a week - there's still water in the QT, but no ammonia source for a week.
I would strongly recommend you open the filter outside. It's not going to be pleasant. 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol, ok!

Do I have to do anything to the pads other than rinse them thoroughly with warm water, before I put one in my main tank to colonise (and leave one to dry)?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #15
steve-s

Rinse the media you remove from the filter really well in hot tap water until the "aroma" has diminished and allow them both to air dry for a few days. Then you can re-use them.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
By the time I get my fish, the QT will have been filled with water (water with very high nitrites) for just under a week (I haven't taken the water out yet),
Sorry I don't follow. Are you using water from your main tank that has high nitrites or just commenting that the QT has high nitrites? I would use newly prepared SW that has aged a day or two to fill the QT. Not "seasoned" tank water.
What about this part

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll air dry them for 4 days - will that be ok?

When I said high nitrites, I meant the water that was still in the QT (I haven't emptied it out yet).

I'll take your advice and re-fill the QT with new SW when I get my fish.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
I'll air dry them for 4 days - will that be ok?
As long as they are rinsed first yes.

Quote:
I'll take your advice and re-fill the QT with new SW when I get my fish.
If you need to do a water change, I would suggest sooner than later. I would not wait until the new fish is purchased. Even though there may be a need to treat the new arrival, it's best to provide the optimum conditions where possible from the start. If the fish makes it through the QT interval without a hitch, it will make the fish's life and your's much easier.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I meant I'll re-fill the QT (100% waterchange) before I put my fish in (and indeed buy it!).
Old 06-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've just rinsed the 2 pads in hot water, and there's still a very slight smell from them, although barely noticeable (I've been at it for ages). There's also a small patch on each of the pads that isn't the same colour as the rest - sort of a light brown colour.

I rinsed the filter itself as well, which also has a very slight smell.

After 4 days, will it be ok?

Tags
high nitrites, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com