HELP! High Nitrites in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, 4 days have passed.

I'm going to put one of the foam pads in my main tank to colonise with bacteria - but it still has a slight smell to it when you get very close to it. Sort of a "foisty" smell?

Remove some tank water and place it in a small pail for a day or two and see if it gets worse. The sponge could be permanently fouled, if so you may need to replace it.

Cheers
Steve

I don't really have any tank water to remove at the moment - the smell is only very slight, although still noticeable when close up.

If I rinse it thoroughly again with hot water, will that be enough?

Or would you advise getting some new filter pads?

MarkW19 said:
I don't really have any tank water to remove at the moment - the smell is only very slight, although still noticeable when close up.

If I rinse it thoroughly again with hot water, will that be enough?

Or would you advise getting some new filter pads?
I didn't know how much time you had to accoplish this so that's why I suggested soaking in water first. It would be able tell you if the sponge is going to cause you more problems. If only slight, it could be a benefit as an ammonia source and actually help cycle the QT.

You could easily re-rinse the sponge in hot water and let it dry out again. If it works great, if not you can buy a new one. What you decide on will really depend on the amount of time you have. If time is not limited, I would just place the sponge as is in the QT (if fishless) and let it cycle. Might need some carbon though :wink:

EDIT:If you intrend to re-seed the sponge, do not place it in the main tank as long as it has an odor.

Cheers
Steve

I'm just going to put the pad in my main tank to re-seed it. I think I'll just buy a new one - will save possible problems later!

My Nitrites have gone now, seeing as I've just emptied the QT :p

I'm starting it up again for a new fish in a couple of weeks.

Steve - the foam pads barely smell at all, and they don't smell bad, just a SLIGHT smell when you put your nose right up to them. How do I know if they're ok or not?

MarkW19 said:
How do I know if they're ok or not?
Gotta keep in mind that you have to ultimately decide if it's safe. I can only give you some guidelines. If you place them in the QT or main they will start to reek if their still fouled. Testing the water quality is about the only way to tell.

If you plan on reseeding them, safest would be to reclean them or buy new ones.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom