HELP! High Nitrites in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just discovered my Nitrites are at 5ppm+ in my 15gal QT, and my butterfly looks a bit worse for wear. I only did a 50% waterchange yesterday, and all was ok before that, don't know what's going on.

I'm tempted to put him in the main tank now, he's been in QT for 3 weeks and 1 day.

I won't be able to do another water change for at least a day and a half.

What do you think?

I need to move on this now, anyone any last minute advice?

If you have high nitrites than you do not have enough beneficial bacteria for you tank's bio-load. Can you move some bio-media from you larger tank to the filter in your QT ? A bio-wheel, bio-balls, or some media from a canister.

Just lost him.

So I put him into Quarantine when he's perfectly alright and kill him. Nice.

My own fault - I was just checking for ammonia and not nitrite - I figured if there was no ammonia then there'd be no nitrite.

Live and learn I guess.

:(

The Banggai is fine, now in my main tank and eating.

sorry to hear of your loss...what size main tank and kind of butterfly? just wondering, I am thinking of trying a butterfly...

Sorry to hear about your butterfly, Mark :( Live and learn is definitely right, we've all been there.

Great news about the Banggai though! :)

Thanks Atari.

So, my Fluval filter (in the QT, which still has water in although the filter/heater isn't on) has 2 foam pads in it - one which I colonised with bacteria in the main tank for 2 weeks before putting it in the QT.

Question is, will there be still enough bacteria on the 2 pads in the QT if I do a 100% waterchange and put main tank water in the QT (I need to take all the water out of course because of the high Nitrites). The tank is still full of water, but the filter hasn't been running for 2 days. It'll also take me another 2 days to do the new water (to replace the water taken out of the main tank). So that'll be 4 days without the filter on in the QT.

Or, would you start again and take one of the pads out and seed it in the main tank for 2 weeks, and let the 2nd pad dry out?

Cheers!

Mark

Bacteria is not contained in the water itself so it will not be affected as long as the filter pads remain wet and aerated. I would however not suggest a 100% water change with fish in the tank. The drastic change in water specs could stress them quite severely. I would instead suggest a 25-40% change every day until the nitrites get under control. Might not seem like much difference but it's easier on the fish.

Be sure as well that once you remove the SW, rinse the filter pads in it before you discard the water. This will ensure you rid the pads of any trapped foods and detritus while still preserving the needed bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Steve - there are no fish in my QT. I'm going to do a 100% waterchange (refill with main tank water) and put a new fish in.

By the time I get my fish, the QT will have been filled with water (water with very high nitrites) for just under a week (I haven't taken the water out yet), but my filter hasn't been switched on and the water hasn't been aerated or heated.

Will my 2 filter pads still be ok? There's been no ammonia source for a week either, of course.

MarkW19 said:
By the time I get my fish, the QT will have been filled with water (water with very high nitrites) for just under a week (I haven't taken the water out yet),
Sorry I don't follow. Are you using water from your main tank that has high nitrites or just commenting that the QT has high nitrites? I would use newly prepared SW that has aged a day or two to fill the QT. Not "seasoned" tank water.

but my filter hasn't been switched on and the water hasn't been aerated or heated.
If the filters only been off for a few hours it will be fine. If much longer the bacteria in the filter will be dead. Especially if it's a canister which will smell like sulphur when you open it.

Will my 2 filter pads still be ok? There's been no ammonia source for a week either, of course.
If you mean the filter has been dormant for a week with the pads in them, then they won't be any good. :(

Cheers
Steve

The filter has been turned off for a week - there's still water in the QT, but no ammonia source for a week.

OK, looks like I'll put one of the pads back in my main tank for a couple of weeks then.

MarkW19 said:
The filter has been turned off for a week - there's still water in the QT, but no ammonia source for a week.
I would strongly recommend you open the filter outside. It's not going to be pleasant. 8O

Cheers
Steve

lol, ok!

Do I have to do anything to the pads other than rinse them thoroughly with warm water, before I put one in my main tank to colonise (and leave one to dry)?

Rinse the media you remove from the filter really well in hot tap water until the "aroma" has diminished and allow them both to air dry for a few days. Then you can re-use them.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
MarkW19 said:
By the time I get my fish, the QT will have been filled with water (water with very high nitrites) for just under a week (I haven't taken the water out yet),
Sorry I don't follow. Are you using water from your main tank that has high nitrites or just commenting that the QT has high nitrites? I would use newly prepared SW that has aged a day or two to fill the QT. Not "seasoned" tank water.

What about this part :?:

Cheers
Steve

I'll air dry them for 4 days - will that be ok?

When I said high nitrites, I meant the water that was still in the QT (I haven't emptied it out yet).

I'll take your advice and re-fill the QT with new SW when I get my fish.

MarkW19 said:
I'll air dry them for 4 days - will that be ok?
As long as they are rinsed first yes.

I'll take your advice and re-fill the QT with new SW when I get my fish.
If you need to do a water change, I would suggest sooner than later. I would not wait until the new fish is purchased. Even though there may be a need to treat the new arrival, it's best to provide the optimum conditions where possible from the start. If the fish makes it through the QT interval without a hitch, it will make the fish's life and your's much easier.

Cheers
Steve

I meant I'll re-fill the QT (100% waterchange) before I put my fish in (and indeed buy it!).

I've just rinsed the 2 pads in hot water, and there's still a very slight smell from them, although barely noticeable (I've been at it for ages). There's also a small patch on each of the pads that isn't the same colour as the rest - sort of a light brown colour.

I rinsed the filter itself as well, which also has a very slight smell.

After 4 days, will it be ok?

Back
Top Bottom