Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help, how do I get rid of macro algae??

I have an explosion of macro algae (I think some kind of red calerpa or something) that is growing like a WEED on the tops of ALL my rocks that have high lighting.

What is the best way to get control of this? What herbivores would be best to add or are there other methods?

Its a 33 gal with 196 W PC lighting. I have 4 astrea snails, 5 cerith, and down to about 6 blue leg hermits, CB shrimp and a brittle star for cleaning critters. I also have anenomies, open brain, mushrooms, zoos, and acropora SPS so don't want any DANGEROUS critters.

Please help!!

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats it look like, red calurepa is difficult to keep from what i understand, and it is also very nice looking

does your algea look like a slimy red goo, then its probably cyano, couple ways to get rid of it, most effective wait it out, how long has the tank been set up, and all that,

Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

here is what it looks like. Definitely not cyano from what I know. I've asked before but nobody seems to know what it was, just assumed some kind of caluerpa macro algae or something. Anyway, does someone know what this is or how to get it under control? What invert or clean up crew would help with this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clipboard_image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1816  

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some tangs might eat that stuff.

My old 10g got infested by some similar stuff like that and it pretty muched took over. I sold and gave some infested rock away to people and they said there tangs ate it. I think they said a sohol(sp?) and blue tang ate it.

What I did to get rid of this red algae was to place the infested rock in a dark bucket with PH for about 3months to starve the algae from light.

here is a pic of the stuff I had

Good luck
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

That doesn't sound very good. My tank is only a 33 so a tang is not really an option. Are there any crabs or other critters that might help battle this stuff??

Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
maybe a blenny ?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/algeatrcontfaqs.htm
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah i'm thinking blenny. lawnmower blenny might be too big...maybe a scooter or bi-color.
(I really need to read up on my SW species)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've got a scooter blenny but he doesn't seem to eat any algae whatsoever. he hunts the pods and shrimps in the tank. At least that's what I've seen watching him. I think the lawnmower blenny gets too big for a 33g.

I think I'll do what I can to control it manually for a few weeks and get some more blue legged crabs. (They definitely keep all the green algae in check and hair algae). Another related thread was talking about this also.

Are their any other types of crabs that are good in my small setup, safe in a reef setup and hlepful for algae control?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not that familiar with red macroalgae, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen before - Gracilaria (sp?) spp are the most common red macros seen in aquaria. Caulerpa is a green algae genus - no such thing as red caulerpa. Red macros generally grow slowly, relative to green macro or microalgae, so hand removal would work - but it looks like your stuff is too invasive for that to work. I actually think it looks kind of cool, but YMMV.

I think a lawnmower blenny is fine in 30g and up - good algae-growth is of course needed to keep them healthy. They supposedly can be territorial with other species that hang out on rock, like gobies. Scooter blenny is not a blenny at all, but a dragonet, eats pods, and AFAIK is pretty hard to keep long term in anything smaller than 75g unless you have a good refugium. For clean-up crew choices, most small hermits will be ok - various species in the Calcinus, Clibanarius, Paguristes (sp?). Green Mithrax crabs are good algae eater and maybe the best choice for a true crab, but they can still be aggressive sometimes. 4 Astreas may not be enough in 33g to keep the LR clean. Other good snails worth investigating are Turbo and Trochus. It looks like in the pic that you don't have much purple coralline algae on the LR - of course it'll take time but promoting coralline algae growth (high Ca?) is maybe the best bet long-term.
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Rotala,Vallis,Crypt,Ambulia,Watersprite
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My hermit crabs love that stuff. Also a Bicolor Blenny would help as well.

You could also try to give it to a LFS. I don't know if they'll give you anything, but you'll be rid of it.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, macro, macro algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com