Help! How to keep these paired?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a yasha goby and candy stripe pistol an hour ago and they are acclimating. If I put them in my 70 they will hopefully eventually find each other, but it may take a while. The guy I bought it from said he used an enclosed PVC pipe or test tube to keep them together and stuck it in the sand so they could know each other's existence basically. The shrimp is maybe half an inch so I hope I can find him and he eats! Also I'm supposed to release him onto the rocks not the sand so he can hide and not be harassed or eaten. I have a clown and chromis and I'm acclimating a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and Purple Firefish as well. I'm pretty sure these are peaceful fish that hopefully won't eat the shrimp.

obscurereef said:
I just got a yasha goby and candy stripe pistol an hour ago and they are acclimating. If I put them in my 70 they will hopefully eventually find each other, but it may take a while. The guy I bought it from said he used an enclosed PVC pipe or test tube to keep them together and stuck it in the sand so they could know each other's existence basically. The shrimp is maybe half an inch so I hope I can find him and he eats! Also I'm supposed to release him onto the rocks not the sand so he can hide and not be harassed or eaten. I have a clown and chromis and I'm acclimating a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and Purple Firefish as well. I'm pretty sure these are peaceful fish that hopefully won't eat the shrimp.

You should be good, I had the same pair for a long time, pretty funny I would hear the pistol shrimp click, and the goby would come and find him like a GPS. It took them a little while to find each other at first, 24hrs or so. Man that reminds me, I need one for my watchman Lol. Good luck with them their fun to watch. Hopefully they make there house where you can observe them. Always sucks when you get something cool, and can't see them.

Yeah hopefully I will see them! The shrimp is sooo tiny I can't believe they normally go for $20! Thanks so much for the input.

Haha yeah agreed. Luckily I got an awesome deal. This guy from craigslist buys fish and corals wholesale and sells them to make some money. I got a purple firefish, yasha goby and candy stripe pistol pair, and McCosker's Flasher Wrasse for $80. :D

obscurereef said:
Haha yeah agreed. Luckily I got an awesome deal. This guy from craigslist buys fish and corals wholesale and sells them to make some money. I got a purple firefish, yasha goby and candy stripe pistol pair, and McCosker's Flasher Wrasse for $80. :D

That's a very good deal. My LFS sells yasha for $45 purple fire fish $25! That deal you got is like buy two get a ton free lol

Yeah same plus there's the tax factored in at the LFS. Now if I could only find the yasha goby and pistol shrimp :lol:...I'm not too worried, they are probably just getting adjusted. I had the most difficult time getting the yasha goby and pistol shrimp out of the bucket I was drip acclimating them in though. I think the goby was traumatized from me trying to catch him in the net! The shrimp was so small I thought I would crush him when I put him in a little plastic cup. The firefish and wrasse are already out and eating which surprised me since practically everyone who's had a firefish or wrasse says they hide for a week and are very shy.

Back
Top Bottom