Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

And By the way I havent added anything into the tank yet as far as amonia or shrimp or anything and I already have an amonia reading of 1.0 and I just added the salt last night so that gets back to my origional question which was, when I put the salt in did it kill all the old bacteria and start the new salt water bacteria cycle????

Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The die off probably caused it which is good. Your cycle got a good start to it already. Now its just a waiting game

Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
And By the way I havent added anything into the tank yet as far as amonia or shrimp or anything and I already have an amonia reading of 1.0 and I just added the salt last night so that gets back to my origional question which was, when I put the salt in did it kill all the old bacteria and start the new salt water bacteria cycle????
Yes. All the freshwater bacteria died and that is the ammonia source.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brian, go to P U R E W A T E R C L U B and look at the "Portable" RO/DI units. They do not have all the bells and whistles but you can get one for under $75. If you don't use RO/DI you are setting yourself up for failure in my opinion. As you said, you are a single dad with a 3 year old. You will not have the time to fight all the problems that will arise from using tap water. While this hobby requires dedicating time, it can be reduced greatly IF you do it right. If you try to take short cuts you will end up spending 10 times as much time and have no time to enjoy it. That is just my opinion but I think it is a good one. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would drain it and start fresh. If you want to do saltwater, doing it right the first time makes it easier and less worries about contamination. RO units are a great investment. Saves you a lot of money in the long run.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's a good idea. Have you ever used the portable unit? I really only need to mix about 10g. How long would it take to make this much? If it was a quick connect, fill 10g and disconnect I would seriously consider this. At the moment I'm taking 2 liters of water from the drinking water filter at work to fill my 5g salt bucket or my 33 liter (roughly 13g) plastic storage container for water changes. It's literally an all day task. I don't think I'd get any. Complaints if I hooked it up for about 5-10 min in the bathroom and filled it up after office hours.

This is a similar model filter I use at work:
http://coway-usa.com/product/02_wate...04AL_tab3.html

Although I really don't know if the model at work uses an RO filter. In this model pictured does anyone see any potential problems with the filtration? I guess I'm playing Russian roulette here but I havent done any extensive water testing, everything in my tank looks fine and healthy. I had some ich on two of my fish but after a partial water change it cleared up in a few days, with significant improvement in the first 24 hours.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I bought mine, the 100 gallon per day unit was $65 but you could get the 150 gallon per day for $10 more so I went with that. I can currently make about 10 gallons in maybe 2 hours but the depends a lot on the water pressure it is connected too. I do a 5 gallon water change once a week plus about 5 gallons of fresh for top offs so this works great for me. I start my weekend routine by refilling the 5 gallon bucket I keep in the closet with fresh water for the upcoming weeks top offs. Then I fill a different bucket with 5 gallons of mixed salt water and set aside. I then transfer 5 gallons of fresh into the mixing container and add salt to start it mixing. I then do all my water testing. Next, I remove 5 gallons from the tank, do my cleaning etc and use the mixed water in the bucket to refill the tank. By the time I have completed all of that, I have made the 10 gallons of water needed for the following week.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would suggest starting over also. Bad advice by your LFS IMO. One thing about tap water. And by the way I do work for a large water municipality so I do know what they do add to tap water to make it drinkable. Good for us humans but bad for our reef tanks. One thing about tap is that it doesnt cause problems over nite. It takes a prolonged amount of time for problems to arise. Amounts of heavy metals and excessive nutrients are adding up like a ticking time bomb. I have seen instances where beautiful reefs were going great and all of a sudden everything is dead. IMO the prolonged use of tap was the culprit. I have an article in the SW articles section on tap in the Reef tank. As I said in the beginning I would start over from scratch if it was me. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand that you need to save money but saltwater is pricey and if you dont do it right you shouldnt do it. Because the tank will be unhappy and then thats money spent on a glass box of algae. also its good to brake the tank down and clean it out because you want to start fresh and give your tank the best chance it can have for being clean. Also for a tank that size you should really have a protein skimmer if you dont already. also a sump would really help the system.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am looking into RO/DI filters and am taking your guys's advice. Do you all think spectra pure is the way to go? and even tho I have a 72" tank from what I've read I wont be doing very big water changes? Sorry but I just sold my 30+ fish and am used to doing 50% or more weekly..... So if I am only doing small water changes lets say 20% a week(is that a good number?) which size would I need what are your suggestions?

THANKS

Tags
fresh, fresh water, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com