Help... I cant keep fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garrett706

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a problem with keeping fish alive in my tank since I've bought it... When I bought my tank ( used, but everything was already established ) the only fish in it was a ocellaris clown, since then I've put in a blue and yellow tang ( which both died within 2 weeks of owning them ) and then I bought a flame angel ( which died in about 2 weeks of owning it ) but the clown was fine. I thought I just could of had a clown that was killing them ( which is rare ) but today I came home and he was also dead. Everything else in the tank is doing great I feed roe and mysis shrimp and I also regularly test for nitrates, phosphates and calcium. I have quite a bit of corals ( which i feed oysterfeast and i target feed mysis shrimp ) that are thriving but I can't seem to keep any fish..... PLEASE HELP!!!

Here is a pic of my tank... A 46 gal bowfront. I have not tested for ammonia but I do a 10 percent water change every weekend ...also here is the clown 2 days ago

Attachments

• image-1570891425.jpg
    image-1570891425.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 190
  • image-1303711113.jpg
    image-1303711113.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 179
Here's a better one of the clown and the tangs about 4 days before the tangs died

Attachments

• image-2982363334.jpg
    image-2982363334.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 177
From my experience you might have a very high ammonia level. Questions that need to be answered are how long has the tank been running with the live rock and other stuff in your tank? If you had gotten it from an existing tank there could be die off and could have spiked the ammonia. Get the API saltwater ammonia test bottles. Water changes are good to do but you could be having a mini cycle going on in there. The shrimp I believe are very hardy. They can live in high ph levels and high ammonia spiked environments. Just my tale. Hope some of that helps.

The tank has been running for 2 months ( reef octopus 1000 skimmer and aquatop 300 canister filter ) as far as the live rock goes I'm pretty sure it's in the tank for around 2 years

The tank has been running for 2 months ( reef octopus 1000 skimmer and aquatop 300 canister filter ) as far as the live rock goes I'm pretty sure it's in the tank for around 2 years

I would get the API kit. Are you using the saltwater kit. Or is it the strips?

Get that Api test kit for saltwater and check the ammonia just to be on the safe side and post the results. I don't know if ammonia would affect the corals are not. But you have some very nice pieces in there.

Also do you check salinity? Where do you get your water from? I could understand the tangs not making it, your tank isn't big enough for them. +1 to all of the above, get a saltwater master test kit so you can check everything...

How much surface agitation do you have? Using a powerhead pointing towards the top of the tank will create ripples on the top of your tank increasing oxygen transfer into your tank. Lack of oxygen might possibly be killing your fish.

How much surface agitation do you have? Using a powerhead pointing towards the top of the tank will create ripples on the top of your tank increasing oxygen transfer into your tank. Lack of oxygen might possibly be killing your fish.

Oh.. I would say I have a medium flow of agitation , nothing crazy but you can definitely see when they come on

Back
Top Bottom